dvddvd

jpeg to svg..free site?

Hi new to all this I was having a play around on grabbing random images from the internet and seeing what this did to them

https://www.pngtosvg.com/

It worked great on the ones i tried, do people rate it as a free conversion site?

Just because an image is converted to a vector file, doesn't mean it's cuttable.

• Like 2

Sorry could you explain a little more? I put some jpegs into the site and downloaded the vectors and opened them up in signcut pro and they looked good? What can go wrong? Thanks

It greatly depends on the initial image. Most auto trace systems have a lot of stray/necessary nodes and to get a good clean cut a good bit of work can be required to clean up the file.

The higher quality the initial image the better the trace will be. Images with multiple colors can result in some odd vectors. Either colors layered on top of each other, or they are sized exactly as seen which typically is not a good way to cut either. A simple example say a black square with a red circle in it. Some trace programs will give you a black square with a hole in it, and a red circle. There's nothing wrong with this, but for cutting and layering, it would be better to just have a black square with no hole, and then layer the red circle on top of it. Some programs would trace that same image as a red square, with a black square with a hole in it, layered on top of the red square.

If you want to play around before buying anything, download Inkscape, it's free. Play around with it a little and you'll get a better understanding of vector graphics.

• Like 3

Thanks I will, lots to read up on and learn before dipping my toes many thanks

Any good books or sites you would recommend to learn a little more?

What is being (really well) described by darcshadow is a result of all the PATHS we're dealing with.

Nodes, paths of lines, outlines.

I always think in terms of what it means to have a graphic that's good for cutting --- I perceive it as a silhouette.

Man-s-profile-silhouette-with-a-monocle-

• Like 1

I tried that site on a couple of easy traces and the vectors were coarse.  They would need a lot of cleaning up...

I could trace it myself with better detail.

• Like 1