Sign in to follow this  
mpanek

Anyone know what overcut is?

My Titan II was working great up until today. I've used this machine for about a year and now I can barely explain whats going wrong. When I send a job to the cutter, the cutter will leave tiny gaps between shapes and letters that result in me having to cut/tear the vinyl manually. Additionally, the cutter blade seems to be lifting thin cut shapes out of the vinyl that end up scattered on my designs and blade. This never happened before. I've researched this issue thoroughly. I've added a new blade, lubed the holder, calibrated the offset multiple times and still the same problem. I also messed around with the overcut but I genuinely don't know what it does. As the name suggests I figured this would solve one of my issues but no matter how high I set it, I get the same problem. I even set it to its max (4.00) but I don't even know what type of measurement this is. I also found that maybe I need a new blade holder? Do blade holder suddenly go bad like this? Any help would be much appreciated!

Lifting vinyl is too much blade exposed out of the blade holder, This is how to set your blade depth correctly. You have to have the blade set correctly first, before you make other adjustments. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 1

I've set the blade to a really low depth so i don't think that's the problem. I just set it slightly lower and increased the pressure and this is what I got. I think it has to be the blade holder. Do you do any maintenance or replacements on the blade holder Skeeter?

IMG_20200304_222910.jpg

Did you set the blade to the vinyl that you are cutting, as I told you?  You cannot just guess it.  The instructions work. Vinyl doesn't just lift like that. You only cut with the very tip of the blade and vinyl is only 2.5-3 mil thick. You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

Oh yeah, I manually scratched the vinyl with the blade holder. You can definitely barely see the blade pointing out and I couldn't cut through the paper backing even with all my force. 

Does the blade spin freely in the holder?
if you hadn’t already said you changed the blade I would have guessed a broken tip personally 

I actually changed the blade again before your comment and got the same poor results. Although I think you may be onto something, because while I was scratching the vinyl and doing sharp turns the corners peeled up. Even at the max blade depth.

6 hours ago, mpanek said:

I actually changed the blade again before your comment and got the same poor results. Although I think you may be onto something, because while I was scratching the vinyl and doing sharp turns the corners peeled up. Even at the max blade depth.

At max blade depth you could be breaking tips, or holder not allowing blade to turn.  Always start wit to little bade and work up as my skeeter has posted to where it just barely cuts 

• Like 1

Yes, start with very little blade tip out,(your only going to be using the very tip of the blade)  just make a straight cut across the vinyl. you can tell right away, in just a few inches of vinyl. Don't do sharp turns. Just cut it straight. Correct, you could be breaking the blade tips off doing that with max blade out. You just want to get the blade cutting the vinyl and  barely making a mark on the wax paper backing.  Then put the blade holder back in the machine and get the same results, with the force.  Look really good in the blade holder for pieces of vinyl stuck in it.  Add a drop of light oil in the holder. 3-1, sewing machine, etc.

• Like 2

Max blade depth was a poor choice of words. I mean minimum blade depth (Blade is barely sticking out and I have to use a lot of manual pressure to cut the vinyl). Blades do not appear broken at all. I just placed an order for a new holder. Hopefully this solves my issue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mpanek said:

Max blade depth was a poor choice of words. I mean minimum blade depth (Blade is barely sticking out and I have to use a lot of manual pressure to cut the vinyl). Blades do not appear broken at all. I just placed an order for a new holder. Hopefully this solves my issue.

pretty hard to tell from the naked eye if tip broke - here is one I broke going off my vinyl magnified 60x

34708778_10204823149655084_5425396520734162944_n.jpg