Elevation420

Bought used mh871 software question

You can use Inkscape. That's free, but you probably won't be able to send it directly from Inkscape to the cutter without some kind of plug-in, which I don't think there is one. I could totally be wrong, so don't quote me on that, but not many of plug-ins that can go direct from Inkscape, AI, and/or CorelDraw directly to the cutter. Especially since most times, the cutter will not appear as a printer. Sometimes it'll appear as a device, but it really depends on which version of Windows you're using. I'd recommend starting off with SignBlazer, or a trial version of something.

• Thanks 1

SignBlazer will work just fine, choose the RedSail 1120C model (that is the OEM designation for the Chinese-made MH).

Don't forget to install the CDM (emulation) --  http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Drivers/cdm20828_setup_windows.exe

SignBlazer is cool since it has a ready-to-cut LIBRARY of graphics (Draw menu) and you can practice using those. My first cuts were the Animals --- and then I progressed to Logos and then the intricate Mason designs. This is a great way to explore Node Editing and other functions of the program.

How much experience do you have working with vector graphics? Do you have a specific type of work that you're trying to achieve?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Elevation420 said:

Thanks, heard you can also use Inkscape?

Yes, I used Inkscape exclusively for quite awhile. It's not an ideal cutting program but it has the advantage of being able to specify an overcut which Signblazer did not have and with the MH a slight overcut is practically a necessity.

I think it was introduce in 0.91, under extension -> export -> plot. If you don't have that option, install the latest version. Once to the Plot screen, there are 3 tabls, Connections settings, Plotter Settings and Plot features.

Connection settings are your comm port settings. I am lucky and actually have a serial port on my computer. If you do not have one a tripp-lite usb-2-serial adapter is recommended. Figure out what comm port you have your cutter connected to and set that as well as the speed, etc. The command language is HPGL.

Once you get that setup, you'll want to cut some test squares (or use the pen attachment and some paper). Under Plotter Settings, you can change the DPI. The default settings are 1000 DPI for both x and y. That will be close but may not be exact. Draw a 10" square, measure it and adjust the DPI to correct for any size error.

I have also set my rotation to 90, this makes the bottom right corner of the drawing the origin point. This makes the most sense to me with regards to the cutter output. It's up to you and makes no real difference.

Lastly, under Plot Features you want to add some overcut, 1mm is a good place to start. The knife offset will also need to be adjusted 0.25 is a good starting point as well. Do a search on here for setting offset and you'll find several post explaining how to make the adjustments.

There is also an inkscape cutting tool called Inkcut. It is a stand alone program that uses Inkscape. I've played with it a little but found it annoying and was just easier for me to cut straight from Inkscape.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1