Sign in to follow this  
constance clark

sc2 display blinking won't power on

Help!  I have a show coming up - all ready to have a full weekend of work and powered on my SC2 and the display and red power indicator light are blinking. Of course its saturday!  Any help would be appreciated. 

Is the carriage head close to the reset button on the side of the cutter, if it has one?  If so move it away from it. or try pushing the reset button. 

Is there an owner's manual that gives you any indication of troubleshooting this?

Have you unplugged the power cord for 30 seconds like they till you to do with other electric devices that suddenly act up? 

heck I am wondering about the carriage position sensor - if you call support they will run you thru the troubleshooting sheet they have

thanks everyone for the help - nothing worked over the weekend, so I'll give support a call this morning.  I unplugging all cords, taking out the fuse, moving the carriage and nothing helped.  There is no good manual for this cutter and it takes forever to look through the forum or support sites.  If anyone does know of a manual other than the one that comes with the cutter, please let me know. 

That SC2 cutter has a "limiter switch" located inside the upper housing (where the carriage-movement ribbon cable sits). If you are feeling adventurous, it's not that hard to take off the end caps and access that top panel.

Just a note to all. As like your computer and other electronics, we all should have a back-up power supply/surge protector connected to all of them. Mine has saved me numerous times in the past as I was cutting vinyl and on sublimation projects. My TV's have them also so when there is a momentary power outage I don't have to wait forever for my program to resume without missing any of the action.They are will worth the investment. 

• Like 2

I have disassembled my SC2 and taken photos to show you what to do.  First, the end caps, then the top panel. The small circuit board on the top of the entire carriage assembly has an optical sensor which locates the end point of travel (at each side, there is a notch on the support bar, and the optical sensor sees where the limits are). Maybe this switch failed or is not properly aligned?

20200224_124503.jpg

Two screws, one front and one back -- both end caps  (After screws are out, just lift the piece up)

20200224_124643.jpg

Two screws on each end. Top assembly lifts off (ribbon cables remain attached)

20200224_130021.jpg

Notch at each end of track -- sensor 'sees' these to stop

21 hours ago, haumana said:

Is there an owner's manual that gives you any indication of troubleshooting this?

7 hours ago, constance clark said:

no

https://www.uscutter.com/static/PDFs/SC2_Manual_FINAL_10_10_2017.pdf

Then you can at least tell us that you tried to look at the manual for answers, when you post your question the first time around.

Looking at the manual -- Pages 13 to 15  --  setting the media into the machine (loading vinyl). The instructions go through all the steps of feeding vinyl through and using the pinch-rollers to hold vinyl in place. Then at the end of these several pages of details on how to run vinyl, it mentions  "if the cutter is not already on, turn it on now."  

Nooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!   Never run or feed vinyl through without first turning the machine on. The electromagnet on the blade holder must have power to raise, otherwise you'll be scoring vinyl with the lowered blade (in the "Power off" position, the blade sits at rest on the cutting strip).

Let me repeat ----  POWER ON before even thinking of feeding vinyl.

/ end rant

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Looking at the manual -- Pages 13 to 15  --  setting the media into the machine (loading vinyl). The instructions go through all the steps of feeding vinyl through and using the pinch-rollers to hold vinyl in place. Then at the end of these several pages of details on how to run vinyl, it mentions  "if the cutter is not already on, turn it on now."  

Nooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!   Never run or feed vinyl through without first turning the machine on. The electromagnet on the blade holder must have power to raise, otherwise you'll be scoring vinyl with the lowered blade (in the "Power off" position, the blade sits at rest on the cutting strip).

Let me repeat ----  POWER ON before even thinking of feeding vinyl.

/ end rant

hold on are you implying there are errors in manuals and videos :O  like how to set the blade depth correctly :D

• Haha 1

So is my LP and Graphtec defective, because when powered off, the blade is in the "up" position, or is that something specific to the SC2?

1 minute ago, haumana said:

So is my LP and Graphtec defective, because when powered off, the blade is in the "up" position, or is that something specific to the SC2?

Graphtec should be up.  I don't know about the LP.  But my Seiki blade holder is down when powered off. 

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Graphtec should be up.  I don't know about the LP.  But my Seiki blade holder is down when powered off. 

Mahalo Skeeter! good to know. If my (original) LP is typical, then it's "up" when powered off.

9 hours ago, haumana said:

I've owned the SC, the SC2, and the MH ---  those units have the blade in the down position when off.

I have no information regarding other machines being 'defective', and yes, my comment was specifically about the SC2 manual that you linked.

Hopefully, my pictures assist constance clark to troubleshoot, that's what I came along to contribute here. Shalom.

13 hours ago, slice&dice said:

I've owned the SC, the SC2, and the MH ---  those units have the blade in the down position when off.

I have no information regarding other machines being 'defective', and yes, my comment was specifically about the SC2 manual that you linked.

Hopefully, my pictures assist constance clark to troubleshoot, that's what I came along to contribute here. Shalom.

It's all good. I was just wondering if my other machines were designed to be that way as well.