Dalhimar

Considering a Prismcut

So let me start off with the fact I'm new to the world of these cutting machines. I've worked with CNC systems and graphics however, so I'm hoping the knowledge gap won't be too significant.

I'm looking at doing projects ranging from fabric cutting, chipboard/balsa, and possibly some plastics and papercraft as well as some basic plotting

From the specs and very limited reviews I've seen, the Prismcut p28 seems like it fits my needs nicely.

I was hoping that those with experience with this, and other comparable equipment in the price range could chip in and review it now it's been on the market for a bit.

I do have a few specific questions as well. 

1: The manual states that the machine shouldn't have an issue with materials 2mm and under in thickness. Is this due to clearance, strength of the motors, blade mounting or something else? For instance the carrier sheets seem to mostly be listed as .5mm thickness on UScutter.com, would that limit me to using materials that are only up to 1.5mm thick when using a carrier? Or could I use something like a 1.5mm material as a carrier and still safely cut 2mm thick material on top of it? What would be the upper limit in total material thickness including the carrier that could be fed through? Would I be able to use a 3 or 4mm material if my intent was only to score it? 

2: Are there any planned attachments, mods, upgrades or accessories in the works? For instance a roller/disc style drag knife blade replacement (specifically a cutting head for fabrics), a tangential cutting path upgrade, etc.

3: How well does its functional accuracy hold up on long jobs with repeated cutting paths. For example if I was cutting a material that had length dimensions in the 36 to 72 inch range (specifically thinking of fabric or leather panels for jackets and trenchcoats) that required multiple passes, how much variance should I expect, how much could be attributed to slippage of the carrier vs the limitations of the motors. I'm curious because a job with a relatively long length on a carrier (think trenchcoat panels made of denim or leather) could get weighty, potential increasing tracking issues. 

4: Are there carrier or material guides to ensure materials are fed in at the correct angle? If not, are attachments planned for this, or are compatible ones available? To use the last question as an example, if I'm cutting a job that is pretty long and the cuts are near the edges of the material, while at the start all the cuts are within the boundries of the material by the end they may creep over the edge if not guided.

5: For the pen plotting tool, what ink cartridges can you use? Is it limited to some random size only available from the manufacturer, or could I use something I could acquire at a local store.

6: When reading through the manual I don't remember seeing what brand or compatible blades these use. When I need to replace a blade what should I get? (A page at the end of the manual listing user replaceable components and whats compatible might be a good idea)

7: The manual mentioned a laser etching tool and required training to unlock its functionality. It does not state how one could acquire either though, neither does the product page or website unless I missed something. Could we get clarification on how one obtains either?

8: For large jobs where a standard carrier size sold on UScutter won't work, say a 24x48, 24x60 or longer, what's a recommended material and or supplier I could use that fits the answer to #1?

Finally

9: For the price range, the specs, the accessories, the features and real world results, how would you rate the Prismcut against competitors? Details or examples would be appreciated.

I realize not everyone will be able to answer everything I've asked, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated