Sarjento956

Need info on what type of vinyl to use

I have a customer that asked for a logo to put on the back of vehicles for his auto sales company...my question is what types of vinyl number will be good for those types of jobs..it will go on the paint of the vehicles i currently have the green star brand that came with titan 2 pack starter kit..thanks in advance

I have tried googleing i cant find the answer online

Also is their a website to see like a graph of what diffrent vinyls are good for what materials?

Thansk skeeter ive see u here for years ..i finally decided to get the titan 2 from uscutter ...by your expirience,would it be best to give my customer the vinyl with out the transfer tape on it and have him do the transfering or i should just give the product to him ready to transfer ...my consern is that he wants 100 decals if they stay long enough on the shelf will it be hard to remove from the paper the vinyl is sitting on...this happend to one of my own projects some letters were tearing off with the backing of the vinyl paper and i dont want it to happen to my customers

2 minutes ago, Sarjento956 said:

Thansk skeeter ive see u here for years ..i finally decided to get the titan 2 from uscutter ...by your expirience,would it be best to give my customer the vinyl with out the transfer tape on it and have him do the transfering or i should just give the product to him ready to transfer ...my consern is that he wants 100 decals if they stay long enough on the shelf will it be hard to remove from the paper the vinyl is sitting on...this happend to one of my own projects some letters were tearing off with the backing of the vinyl paper and i dont want it to happen to my customers

oracal 751 is good material for that - I would never use the greenstar for that (or for customers personally) if you are getting backing paper coming up with your decal then you are cutting too deep  = skeeter will be along in a minute with her tried and true method for setting blade depth.   make sure to adjust your price for the cast vinyl as it will cost you twice as much as the cheap stuff that won't last.  calculate your time into the price and design time if you had to do that too to make it cut ready

• Like 2

Your customer would have no way of applying the decal without the transfer tape on it. The decal should be ready to apply. Always peel the backing away from the decal. Never lift the decal from the backing paper. It makes a big difference. You will lift the backing paper right up with the decal doing that.  Use a good transfer tape.  I don't sell quantity decals like that, where they sit around. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 2

"100 decals"   -- why does a small car dealership need so many on hand at one time?  Use 751c and prepare 25 at a time. The car lot can then order more from you as cars get sold and others arrive to be prepped for sale.

(I used to work at a medium-sized Honda dealership and they would move 25+ cars a week.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before I bought my own cutter we would purchase a decent volume of decals for various things at the construction company I manage. Never remember having any issue with them even after setting around for quite some time. Good quality vinyl like 951 (751 is good too but 951 cuts like a dream) will cost more by the yard but will cut, weed and later come off the carrier sheet so much better that is' definitely worth it for this kind of application. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did it...man my hand hurt took me about 5 hrs had to take breaks in between ..first real vinyl job getting paid tommorrow .

On titan 2 the vinyl hangs but it hits the metal frame of the stand after a long roll out but if i move the vinyl anyfurther out i dont think the blade will start on the vinyl its kinda closeany tips?

20200220_193112.thumb.jpg.d30b61dad4d7f1415e8969c1bb44d732.jpg

20200220_112645.jpg

20200220_193847.jpg

Good job.  Did you use weed lines in your cutting software to help for the weeding?  Do those have transfer tape on them?

• Like 1

What is weed lines?

I have vinyl master cut..it was a little trickey to peel it  but i figured out that if i pull fast the vinyl will come off easily and then use the exactoknife for the Os in letters...

Speed 108

Preasure 78

45 degree knife

Yes it has transparent transfer tape

1 minute ago, Sarjento956 said:

What is weed lines?

I have vinyl master cut..it was a little tricky to peel it  but i figured out that if i pull fast the vinyl will come off easily and then use the exactoknife for the Os in letters...

Speed 108

Pressure 78

45 degree knife

Yes it has transparent transfer tape

looks good - if they try to apply them to any compound curves that clear tape will not stretch and make it very hard to apply without defects.  

5 hrs time labor at $50 per hour plus your machine depreciation and materials should be a good payday - usually car dealers and realtors want to pay aunt susie with a cricut prices 

your soft ware puts cut lines between each font , so you can weed them easier.  I have a demo of Vinyl Master Cut, 

WEED LINES.JPG

3 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

your soft ware puts cut lines between each font , so you can weed them easier.  I have a demo of Vinyl Master Cut,

You can also design in you own weed lines. A friend has a very low end machine, and the auto weed lines that are an option in the software sometimes cuts into the text itself because the cutter doesn't track as accurate ???

I will generally create a box around the entire design, and add lines where it will make my life so much easier to weed (ie. if there are multiple lines of text, each line is weeded on it's own, rather than trying to pull up the vinyl as one big paragraph. It doesn't cost me anything but a little more time to put the relief lines in, and smidgen of a second or two for the cutter to do them. Save my mental when there are a bunch of them to do.)

• Like 1

Wow thank you all for the tips n trick ur the best..didnt think about the curves on the card ..cuz yea the clear tranfer tape is kinda thick and keeps straight ..i have the masking tape but doesnt look as good on the decal...ill try the weed lines i found it on the software