motionman

Graphtec Studio won't import curves from DXF

Hello,

I am trying to import a dxf file into Graphtec Studio.  This file has curves and arcs in the object.  When it opens in the software all the arcs are turned into straight lines.  I also tried importing a circle and it comes in as a diamond.  I have imported dxf files before without a problem.  I loaded the software on another computer as a fresh install and I get the same results.  I have my curve quality set to 12 in my view preferences.  I have also tried to importing dxf files created from two different CAD software packages.

Also, why do dxf files always open at the wrong scale?  I am working in inches and have my dxf saved as inches.  When I open it in Graphtec Studio it comes in as mm so it is very small.  I have to scale it by 25.4X to get it correct.

Thanks

I always seem to have issues with the scale on DXF imports and exports. Not enough of a guru to know why. My experience with DXF is they seem to like to have Splines rather than lines and curves. Not always the case of course but a common thing I have ran into. I try to avoid that format whenever possible and stick to working in a standard .ai, .eps, .svg or even PDF whenever possible. 

DXF is intended more for cad programs. I don't know how the coding of them is done, but my guess is the info that tells the cad program to make a line a curve is lost when opened with a simple vector program. I've never had any luck with DXF files having curves, they all have straight lines. Some times the line segments are so short it looks like a curve, but it's not actually.

As for the scaling, I don't know for sure, but bases on experience with other CAD programs, my guess is the units don't exist. Often times CAD programs save a file with non-descript units and it's up to the program that opens it to assign a real world measurement. The default for most programs is mm, because face it, us stupid Americans are the only ones that haven't made the switch to metric simply because we're too suborn. So in your design program you have it set to inches, you draw something that is say 4" long. The software however, just safes the file as 4 units long. Now you open it in a new program that is set to metric, it sees 4 units, and makes the design 4 cm. Search through your program settings and you'll probably find where you can change the unit type.

• Like 1