ekgprodco

Spooler is showing incorrect size of artwork

Hello - 

I am really hoping someone can help me out.  I have a larger item I am trying to cut and every time I view it in Vinyl Spooler, the dimensions are off from what they should be.  It also cuts the incorrect size.  I improved it some by doing the cutter scale and that did help some and also tried the Cutter Settings by adjusting the Device Units per mm/inch , but it is still incorrect and have no idea how to get the measurement / cut size to be correct. They should match exact.  In the design window and "send to cutter" window it shows correct (14.25" x 25.5"), but when you send it to the spooler, it makes it 14.252 X 25.512.  In most situations it would be fine, but it is being put on a piece of wood and needs to fit the outside dimension of the wood.  How in the world do I fix this??  I have attached the file for reference.

Thanks

ekgprodco

ThinBlueLine.vDoc

What cutter are you using? My guess, and it's just a guess mind you, you have a stepper motor cutter and the exact measurements you want do not work out to a whole number of steps.

You're also talking about 0.002" and 0.012" that 1/500th and about 1/80th of an inch. What piece of wood is cut to such exact measurements? The humidity of any given day will cause the wood to change size by that much.

I have the SC2.  I agree it is not that much at all, however, the measurements should be exact.  It was off by a 1/4" yesterday and then we did some of the calibrations, etc … but I never touched any of them to begin with (never seen that screen before) so I'm trying to figure out what would have caused it and how I can get them back to matching the way they should.  

I really appreciate your quick response :):)

Yes, the SC2 is a stepper motor although I just found the manual and it shows it to have a resolution of 1 step = 0.001" so it should be able to get the correct dimensions. After you did the calibration routine, what are your steps per mm or inch now set to?

Wow - thank you.  I will have to check in a little later and let you know.  Where do I find the steps per mm/ inch setting?  Is that the same as Device Units per mm?

This can be caused by a scale mismatch.

In other words the units per inch or per mm, set in the cutter are different to the units set in the Software.

Small Scale Errors (10% or less)
For small scaling errors, use the Cutter Scale (utility) in the Vinyl Spooler under the Calibration tab that will assist you to set the correct scale.

Large Scale Errors (10% or more)
Large scaling errors can be corrected in the Vinyl Spooler. You can open the Vinyl Spooler from the File (menu) > Cut/Plot > Vinyl Spooler.

• When you have the Vinyl Spooler open (press F2) or click the Cutter (menu) > Configure Cutter.
  • In the window that comes up, select Units (on the left side), and then adjust the Device Units per mm.
  • The industry default is 40.0 units per mm.
  • If you have a cutter that works in 1000 units per inch then set the Device's units per mm to 39.37 and try a test cut.

Half Scale Errors (cutting at around 50% or half size)
For scaling errors where the cutfile cuts at around half of the design size, this can be corrected in the Vinyl Spooler. You can open the Vinyl Spooler from the File (menu) > Cut/Plot > Vinyl Spooler.

• When you have the Vinyl Spooler open (press F2) or click the Cutter (menu) > Configure Cutter.
  • In the window that comes up, select Units (on the left side), and then adjust the Device Units per mm.
  • Set this to 100.0 units per mm and try a test cut.

Trial by Error
You can experiment with a 1 inch or 25mm square and adjust the units accordingly. For example if the cutter cuts a 1 inch or 25mm square at 0.5 inch or 12.5mm then (half size) then set the Units to 80 units per mm. If it cuts double the size at 2 inches or 50mm, then set the units to 20 units per mm and so on.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.