cobweb

Industrial decals

Hello Folks,

I'm new to the decal process and have a few questions.

I am looking for a solution for an outdoor industrial application.  I will be placing decals on machined steel part, some painted, some bare metal.  These will be used outdoors for 7-10 years in a wet, dirty and greasy environment.  I am looking for the best adhesive and most durable material I can find.  I will also be printing text on the material (Part numbers, etc.).  

I plan to purchase a printer capable of printing both dye and pigment on rolls of print material.  Decals will typically be about 4 inches square.  Low volume printing of maybe 10 decals a day.

What would be the best material, ink, and machine for this application?  

Many thanks!!

35 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Hello Folks,

I'm new to the decal process and have a few questions.

I am looking for a solution for an outdoor industrial application.  I will be placing decals on machined steel part, some painted, some bare metal.  These will be used outdoors for 7-10 years in a wet, dirty and greasy environment.  I am looking for the best adhesive and most durable material I can find.  I will also be printing text on the material (Part numbers, etc.).  

I plan to purchase a printer capable of printing both dye and pigment on rolls of print material.  Decals will typically be about 4 inches square.  Low volume printing of maybe 10 decals a day.

What would be the best material, ink, and machine for this application?  

Many thanks!!

dye and pigment wrong ink for the job - look for eco solvent and maybe latex either with laminate - perssonally I would look at convex material with lam for super adhesion.  a little over $15K should get you started on the right path

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

How complex are the designs you're going to be printing? Is it something you could do with cut vinyl? That would be a much cheaper path.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

How complex are the designs you're going to be printing? Is it something you could do with cut vinyl? That would be a much cheaper path.

Not complex at all.  I will only be printing text such as part numbers.  White background with black text.  No graphics,  maybe simple one color company logo.  

Again, very low quantities. just a few a day.   

Vinyl was my first thought, but I'm no expert.

Durability is my main goal.

Labeltac has a small size label maker that is probably what you need for this application. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

dye and pigment wrong ink for the job - look for eco solvent and maybe latex either with laminate - perssonally I would look at convex material with lam for super adhesion.  a little over $15K should get you started on the right path

Thank you for the feedback. As I am not familiar with this topic, I don't understand your suggestions.  Eco solvent and lam?

$15K is also higher than I can go. 

3 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Labeltac has a small size label maker that is probably what you need for this application. 

Thank you.  What material and ink would you suggest?

2 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Thank you.  What material and ink would you suggest?

I think those guys have their own little supply chain for products and whatever ink or foils they use. USCutter doesn't sell anything like that as far as I know. I looked into them long ago when I was investigating thermal printers. Full sized printers are really expensive but those little label makers are under a grand. That sounds like a lot, and it is but in the printer world that's like pocket change. 

• Like 1

I would think that 951 cast vinyl can provide you the solution. Just cut in reverse (black vinyl rectangles, pull out the letters), and the base material will show through the text.

0.jpg

• Like 2

So long as your text is not too small 951 vinyl should work great. And after having a vinyl cutter for awhile I'm sure you'll find other uses for vinyl that you never though of. However, if the text is small, weeding will be annoying, and possibly time consuming. That Labletac printer mentioned above sounds like a good solution although not as versatile.

• Like 2

as long as the size works I agree on the labeltac = never used one but would be much cheaper and easy - you had mentioned using pigment or dye ink and those require special media that is coated to accept those inks - no way those would last near as long as you are needing and the reason I suggested the sign industry standard and the convex as it is the stickiest material I ever printed on.   finding the right solution for your particular need is the way to go and if that is all you will be using it for that labeltac would be great

• Like 1