LegoMyEggrollz

Help best waay to apply laarge vinyl

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong category, move if needed. I just cut a 23" wide 34"high vinyl piece and was wondering if dry application or wet would be better. below is a smaller sample cut of the bigger one. this will be going a window outside a store front

82925475_1065412773813003_9063668788964098048_n.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for taking the time to sign up and not just post as a guest.

If you're comfortable with a wet application, go for that. Just make sure to clean the window thoroughly, and maybe someone will chime in about how to handle weather conditions if applicable. I can't help you with that, since I live in a state that really only varies by about 20-degrees from winter to summer, so it's not very extreme.

If you haven't done a wet application before, you might want to cut something for fun, and give that a go first. If you search the forum, there are recipes to make your own application fluid. I find it very versatile, that I 'clean' a lot of stuff with it (that has absolutely nothing to do with decals or applications).

Don't forget that you'll need to be using paper application tape, and make note as to how much it will stretch.

Good luck, and post it when you're done, so we can all check it out ;)

• Like 2

Flat glass, either option should work well. I've not done many that big but I'd probably go with the hinge method and do it dry. I try to do dry installs and typically only do when when I have complex curves or need to get two layers lined up precisely. 

• Like 2

If I were you, I'd install it dry.  There are too many thin strips in that decal and the wet method could cause problems if the glass is wet.

Use the hinge method by putting a strip of masking tape  on the top edge.  Tape it to the window by the masking tape on the top, making sure the decal is positioned where you want it.  Lift the decal up from the bottom, start peeling the backing paper off of the top but don't take it all the way off.  Fold the backing paper down to the bottom edge , holding the decal off of the window with one hand.  Start squeegeeing the decal down from the top with the other hand.  As you get closer to where the backing is folded, pull it down some more and squeegee more. Once you have the backing pulled down to a comfortable level you can pull it off the rest of the way and finish squeegieeing the decal. 

Installation .jpg

• Like 5

On 1/30/2020 at 1:48 AM, haumana said:

That is a GREAT illustration!!

Thanks

I still wanted to answer “sticky side down”. But knew I would get yelled at ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3