Jaaay

MH871 Problem Cutting

I’ve been having one hell of time to even figure out what settings to use to get a perfect cut on my vinyl. I ordered some oil slick vinyl from amazon that said is 0.003 in. thick. My offset is at 0.48 after I did the calibration. For some reason the cuts are still not connecting and they were either too sharp or too round, the lines are also jagged. I currently have my cut speed at 150mm/s and pressure at 140g. Someone please help, i’m tired of the headaches. 

D87F8B65-A834-40CC-948B-DC805C56266E.jpeg

D60D6739-79A4-423C-B47F-B8727765B75E.jpeg

When setting up your vinyl cutter and using different vinyls. you must set your blade depth for the vinyl that you are cutting.  

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

Then do test cuts with your machine, start at 0.25 mm for blade offset. Using + or minus 0.05.  Run the machine slow until you know how to use it.  No reason to cut fast.  Look at your test cuts, the box should be square. Sharp corners. 

• Like 1

I agree with skeeter on too much blade exposure, we see that a lot with the skipping along with broken tips and cutting strips in poor condition from use with too much blade exposure

One point to note, the offset is set in the software not on the machine itself. The test button on the cutter cuts a star/square. This cut will not be affected by offset changes made in your software. You'll want to draw a square in your software and cut that to fine tune your offset.

If you don't have some already, you'll also want to add a bit of over cut as well. This will ensure that all the cut lines close. A 0.5mm - 1mm should be enough.

• Like 2

I have an original LP and my base settings, after getting the proper blade exposure, is 60 speed, and the pressure varies between 80-105 depending on what type, color, and age of vinyl. It it's a thicker material, I make 2 or more passes. If I have to do a double layer of vinyl, like reflective on any kind of vinyl base, that will usually take 3 or 4 passes.

If it's an intricate detailed graphic or small text, then I slow the machine down.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but when I start getting perforated type cuts, I take a look at my blade holder - to make sure it's clean, because itty bitty bits of vinyl will work its way up the in the small blade holder hole (which completely boggles my mind), and I also take a very good look at the cutting strip. I will shamefully admit needing to change the cutting strip on my LP several times because I wasn't paying attention to when my origin was and the blade and carriage just ran off the vinyl and started to cut in the strip, which isn't as self-healing as I would like it to me.

You didn't state how old/new your machine was, but you can also check the blade tip, or maybe just replace the blade all together. I recommend CleanCut Blade(s), and a 60-degree blade to add to your machine accessories.

Good luck, keep us posted.

• Like 2

i think i’ve figured out the blade the part but now the cuts on a square are coming out round on some edges and pointy on others. does it mean i have too much offset or too little?

show some pics of your test cuts.   Make sure you have not broken your blade tip and you need a new or very sharp blade to be cutting that vinyl. It will dull your blade very fast. 

• Like 1

for the most part, i think i’ve gotten this down. Only 2 issues i’m having now is that the cutter is cutting this random line right through the design when it begins to start cutting. Also, when i tell the machine to do 2 passes itll go through the first cut perfectly fine then on the second it just comes out sloppy. 

AB25A687-72A1-489B-918B-622519BA52F2.jpeg

Why are you doing 2 passes?  If the blade is set correctly, and you could cut it with the blade holder. no need to cut 2 passes. 

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

Why are you doing 2 passes? 

honestly not even sure lol i’m super new to this so i’ve read with most changing vinyls you have to since they’re somewhat thicker. 

The MH cutter does not have good tracking,  so cutting vinyl like that probably will not cut correctly with 2 passes.   Never mind saw the thickness.  You should not need 2 passes to cut that.   Use 1 pass.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

How thick is this vinyl?  How many mil? 

it’s 3 mil thick 

same as regular sign vinyl.    Oracal 651 is 2.5 and most calendered vinyl is 3 mil.   You don't need 2 passes.   You should be able to see how well it is cutting when you do a test cut. 

Sounds good. Now just to try fixing why the cutter starts with that line right through the design. 

Are you sure that your vinyl is laying flat?  Get down and watch it., when it starts cutting, or record it. and watch it.    Have you zoomed your design up real big on wire frame(outlines) and made sure the line is not in the design? 

I'm not sure if I missed it or not, but what software are you using to cut, and if required, is it activated?

Have you tried to cut your design using a different cutting software?

There is a time and place to do 2 passes. I don't know the rigidity of the vinyl you're using, but how are you doing the 2 passes? (i.e. one at a time, or layering the design twice and sending it to the cutter once?)

• Like 1