Sign in to follow this  
Mike Roark

Newbie and clueless

I have been watching videos for the last 4 hours. Everything is set up. Software is up and running but.... when I send to cut, It just runs over it. I have the force at 100 and have even tried at 130. But the pen nor blade seem to reach the paper / vinyl. Somebody please help! What am I doing wrong? Thanks,

Make sure the wheels on the carriage head are firmly down in the rail. Sometimes they come during shipping.   How did you set the blade depth?   The blade depth determines your force..  

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

Carriage off track

Sometimes during shipping the carriage can get popped the track it moves on. A myriad of cut issues can occur if the carriage is not solidly connected. You can tell a carriage if off track as you will see the back wheels off the groove they fit into, the carriage might feel loose or wiggly, the carriage might look like it is tilted in one direction, or a loud noise is coming from the machine when powered on. Pushing the wheels back into their groove is usually all it takes to resolve this issue. 

• Like 2

Think skeeter hit it with the carriage being off the track personally.   There was one model that the grooves on the blade holder had to go inside the part that holds the blade holder but don’t remember which one now as have not seen that for about 18 months

• Like 1

Make sure the blade holder (round cartridge) is correctly positioned within the retainer arm. When I owned the MH, the cartridge would slip up slightly within that bracket, and I had to wrap a bit of tape around the cartridge itself to keep it from moving up. (You have to be VERY careful about tightening the knurled nut on that arm, it will crack the plastic.)

I have the MH871-MK2 model. Does anybody have any pictures if reference to the rollers everybody is talking about. When I hit the cut button in the software, the cutter begins doing the cut as though it sees it. It foes back and forth as though cutting, but not actually touching the material. I have tried with the pen and then blade. Is this fixable?

Just now, Mike Roark said:

I have the MH871-MK2 model. Does anybody have any pictures if reference to the rollers everybody is talking about. When I hit the cut button in the software, the cutter begins doing the cut as though it sees it. It foes back and forth as though cutting, but not actually touching the material. I have tried with the pen and then blade. Is this fixable?

Is the knife dropping down during the cuts and back up to the next object? If it is not moving up and down then there is something related to that messed up. If it looks like the little arm that holds the knife or pen is dropping down but it's just not reaching the material then the carriage issue is probably what's up pr you have your blade holder improperly mounted. I don't have that cutter so I don't have pics but I have seen others post pics about this issue. You can probably find the threads with some searching on the forum. 

Initial startup is probably the most frustrating time of being a new cutter owner. Too much new tech and not sure whats actually supposed to happen. Be patient and you'll get it going with some time. 

Thanks for the input. Still having issues. I have checked and the cutter is on track. I tried to cut again and the cutter remained at the same spot, approximately 1/4 inch from the vinyl. I can slide the cutter up and down, but it will not do it on its own. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I tried to call tech support, but..... they close at 4pm PST and I did not call until 7:05 PM Eastern time. UGH! Might be relying big time on this message board. Thanks, Mike

Mike,   From what you're saying, the entire cutter mechanism is not rising and falling at all -- not even in test mode?

That's a Z-axis failure, and requires a circuit replacement by the manufacturer, your machine is under warranty and that defective MB can be swapped by you (if that's what it turns out to be when you get ahold of a tech at USCUTTER and receive a return/repair authorization)

Thanks for the input. Still having issues. I have checked and the cutter is on track. I tried to cut again and the cutter remained at the same spot, approximately 1/4 inch from the vinyl. I can slide the cutter up and down, but it will not do it on its own. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I tried to call tech support, but..... they close at 4pm PST and I did not call until 7:05 PM Eastern time. UGH! Might be relying big time on this message board. Thanks, Mike

If Z-axis chip.  Take the cover off the carriage head.  Put a 9 volt battery to the wires. See if it reacts.   You can check that in search box upper right hand corner. .  9 volt battery test. 

1 hour ago, Mike Roark said:

Just tried the 9 volt battery test, got nothing. from what I am finding, everything points to bad carriage, but I could be wrong. 

if good 9 v battery does not activate the solenoid and your tried both polarities sounds like bad carriage and not mainboard - which is way less common than the mainboard on the mh

Thanks, "Good" is the key word. Going to stop on the way home from school and pick up a new 9volt battery and try again. Going off the message boards on how to do the 9 Volt Test. Hard to believe no you tube videos out there on how to do it. Plus will get home and call the left coast and see if I can get through to tech support. Thanks