Sign in to follow this  
Texas Badger

New to Forum and vinyl work

Hey everyone my name is Chad and I am new to the forum and just getting started on learning this VinylMaster 4.2 and using my USCutter MH 871-MK2.  Hope to learn some good tips.

Welcome, Good luck.  Make sure you put a ground wire on that cutter,  cutter to stand. A lot of static comes from vinyl and you can fry the z-chip on it.  That cutter has very limited memory,  static problems, tracking problems. Should have stopped here first and read. We would have done our best to steer you to a better cutter with less problems. Anything above the MH would have been a better cutter. The MH is considered a bottom of the barrel cutter. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the welcomes, and MZ SKEETER thanks for the heads up on the cutter.  I am finding that there is much to be learned when it comes to vinyl cutting and that is definitely one thing I wish I would've researched before buying this model.  Well guess I'll use it till it gives up.  Definitely finding that when it comes to designing, that the software is not cheap and to me is rather frustrating as it is not a buy the software and that's it, you have to do a subscription to continue to use it.

Your welcome  :D You only purchase Vinyl Master IF you upgrade to a higher version.  You don't buy a subscription, for VinylMasterCut  You are given a starter version. Which you can also import vector files.  You can also design in FREE inkscape,  And there is also Free Signblazer, which many people still use, but it is not updated. Owner passed away years back. GOOD software, costs more than that MH cutter. 

I used the MH for years in a retail sign shop, it'll do the job.

What is your #1 question about vinyl cutting? What is confusing to you?

Lay it on us.

Ditto on the SignBlazer. It may look a bit dated, but this is not rocket science. I still use SignBlazer to push things out the door quickly.

Another application you're going to want to grab is inkscape. It's a free opensource program that you can design in - think of it like a free Illustrator. Not as many bells and whistles, but still powerful enough to do what needs to get done. One of the best features is the ability to vectorize a raster image.

Good luck!