Sign in to follow this  
haumana

Best Method (Practice)

I have a friend that is starting up a tow company and needs to get signs up at different properties. A tow company that she used to work for had someone who would silk screen (2-colors) for them, in 100ʻs of signs at a time.

I donʻt want to cut that many decals, and they need to signs to be a little more permanent that the possibility of the decals peel after being in the hot Hawaii sun months on end.

Should they be looking for another silk screener? or that an obsolete method? Iʻd like to be able to recommend something to them (so I donʻt cut a bunch of decals that will eventually just curl and peel).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Mahalo in advance.

Is it worth my time to try and find someone who can make a screen print, so that they can make their own signs? Theyʻre not opposed to having to make it themselves, it just getting someone to do the screen for them. I think that way they canʻt put it on a metal substrate or coroplast depending on where the sign is going. Drivers here tend to be abusive to the tow away signs once they realize their vehicle got towed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, haumana said:

Is it worth my time to try and find someone who can make a screen print, so that they can make their own signs? Theyʻre not opposed to having to make it themselves, it just getting someone to do the screen for them. I think that way they canʻt put it on a metal substrate or coroplast depending on where the sign is going. Drivers here tend to be abusive to the tow away signs once they realize their vehicle got towed.

From the videos I’ve watched they usually have bug racks to put them on to dry when doing a lot of signs at once.  I guess if they have posts of space to lay them out maybe they could do it but sure seems like ordering a couple hundred from someone already set up would make sense.  I bought a 4 color press once and as I accumulated all the stuff to do it I figured it wasn’t worth the space it took for my home based business.  

• Like 2

Good to know. I think there were doing their best to minimize cost, but thereʻs something to be said for the amount of space thatʻs required if they were going to try and do it themselves. Iʻll have call around for quotes from sign shops, maybe that will give them an idea of what its going to cost get this stuff done.

Putting up coroplast signs for towing information (private property, store parking lots, etc.) is not a good idea. They will suffer UV sun damage fairly quickly and become brittle & crack. The way to go here is aluminum, or at a minimum,  maxMetal or diBond. (for the record, DOT requires that parking lot signs be made with a reflective surface – for any lot that is publically accessible.)

https://www.myparkingsign.com/MPS/Custom-Tow-Away-Signs.aspx