Does anyone know if you can do contour cutting with the mh-871 mk2? I'm using  Vinyl Master Cut, and the software supports it. I found  a YouTube video of someone doing CC with this same plotter, but I'm not having any luck!

The Refine Mh cutter from UScutter does not have an optical eye to use with Vinyl Master to contour cut. There are MH cutters that have an optical eye, laser. That may be what you saw on youtube.  Cutters overseas do.    It could be used with a Flexi product.  The Flexi products have the contour cutting program in the software, it's self.  You use the blade in the center of the registration mark to set it up for contour cutting.   The next cutter up, the SC2 can contour cut. And is a much better cutter over the MH cutter anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Technically any plotter can contour cut, the trick is getting everything lined up correctly. When you say you're not having any luck, what exactly is the problem you're having? So long as the design is not too large or complex the tracking on the MH should be good enough to do contour cutting, it'll just be a matter of getting things lined up right to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

contour cutting is basically an outline of the overall design. are you printing something on paper, then trying to contour cut it?

I've never actually done it and don't exactly know how VM works but basically, you load the material with the image printed, and tell VM you want to contour cut. It should then prompt you to move the cutter head to the the registration marks and then start cutting.

Again, I've never actually done it, but there's no reason it shouldn't be possible, maybe just not as easy as with other cutters. When I get some time I might play around with it a little and see what I can do.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:01 PM, Seaside Embroidery said:

Does anyone know if you can do contour cutting with the mh-871 mk2? I'm using  Vinyl Master Cut, and the software supports it. I found  a YouTube video of someone doing CC with this same plotter, but I'm not having any luck!

I originally bought that cutter. It doesn't have the laser eye , so no contour cutting that I'm aware of. Laser point 3 or Titan has contour cutting. 

If the software supports it, any cutter can do contour cutting. It's just a question of it can do the alignment automatically or if you have to manually do it.

• Like 1