quet

question about Graphtec CE-6000-40

Hello everyone!

Our workplace has had this device for about 1,5 years and during that time I've had to do a lot of paper cutting jobs (so through the paper, not just the top layer) and I've started to notice these small damages on the cutting channel.

What can be done about this? Is it the result of using the machine in a wrong way somehow?

I have had the cutter blade at around 4-5 units, not more.

Thanks!

DSC_1288.JPG

DSC_1289.JPG

yes, replace the cutting strip and use a carrier sheet/cutting mat when doing paper - usually the plotter is used with vinyl to cut thru the vinyl and just scores the paper - with a damaged cutting strip it will not make accurate cuts in vinyl.

one like this

https://www.uscutter.com/Medium-A3-Vinyl-Cutter-Carrier-Sheet

https://www.uscutter.com/Silhouette-Cameo-PixScan-Cutting-Mat

Oh, okay! As I understand, I can replace the wider cutting strip but not the narrow plastic part that has cuts in it?

I had no idea about the need for a carrier sheet, since the mechanic/supplier didn't mention it at all..

Thank you so-so much!

The part that has the cuts in it IS the cutting strip. All one piece.

Not sure what you mean by narrow and wider.

17 minutes ago, quet said:

Oh, okay! As I understand, I can replace the wider cutting strip but not the narrow plastic part that has cuts in it?

I had no idea about the need for a carrier sheet, since the mechanic/supplier didn't mention it at all..

Thank you so-so much!

Unless you ever mentioned to them that you were using the cutter for cutting paper, it never would occurred to them to tell you about the need for a cutting mat. The machine is designed for cutting vinyl, cutting anything else with it is an off label use. Not saying it can't be done, but it'd not the typical use for it.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:33 PM, darcshadow said:

Unless you ever mentioned to them that you were using the cutter for cutting paper, it never would occurred to them to tell you about the need for a cutting mat. The machine is designed for cutting vinyl, cutting anything else with it is an off label use. Not saying it can't be done, but it'd not the typical use for it.

Ah no-no, it wasn't my idea. I remember him telling me it's perfectly fine to cut paper too up to a certain thickness.

On 1/7/2020 at 7:33 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

Welcome from the USA quet  

Thank you, much appreciated! I counter with greetings from Estonia.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:22 PM, bikemike said:

The part that has the cuts in it IS the cutting strip. All one piece.

Not sure what you mean by narrow and wider.

Hey! I was talking about the vinyl part (blue) and the plastic part (red) as illustrated below.

DSC_1288q.jpg

The blue is the actual part (cutting strip) that the blade is cutting into. I'm not sure why you have cut marks in the red section, unless your manually cutting stuff there.

How have you been cutting designs/text/anything with the paper bunching up, or the blade carriage from dragging the paper?

Definitely change the cutting strip, and use a carrier sheet (cutting mat) from this point. The cutting strip is typically soft enough to not break the tip off the blade, in the event of some kind of error and the blade goes beyond the media, but really isn't meant to be used as a backing for cutting all the way down to it, or into it.

Yes, that's true, I've had the paper bunch up and get stuck in between the strip and the blade carriage. If there's a lot of work then I just leave the machine to do its work but the fans can't separate the pages every time and it takes multiple at once.

But alright, I'll make sure to tell my bosses that we need a mat for sure!

Huge thanks to all of you!