gman1968

Help! new user

That would be your best bet, step up to a   PCut, Seiki or Liyu or some other better cutter that your budget can afford.   We steer buyers away from that cutter. 

If the test cuts are coming out good then there maybe an issue with the design and/or the software.

What software are you using?

• Like 1

yes, read up on the issues with that cutter that are posted on here. i think us cutter reps r trained to promote that cutter to newbies asking about their 1st cutter. when i called in i was told to buy the mh or a graphtec. i usually start off in the middle with products. long story short , i ended up buying an sc 54" model because wanting a 48" cut. a few yrs later and learning this trade some and buying several used cutters. i def like the graphtec. but if thats to pricey for u , u can still get a servo motor cutter with the titan 2 for half the price. if thats still out of the budget i would suggest the sc2. its an upgraded version of the cutter i have and i have ran mine pretty hard and quite a bit of vinyl thru it without any issues. the only issues were in the beginning, part being caused by shipping. i see someone mentioned for u to check yours for that. when i unboxed mine and assembled it the carriage was off track. after fixing that, the blade wouldnt move up or dn . so ended up needing a new carriage assembly .

can u post a pic of your carriage and blade holder?

4 minutes ago, cardudenc said:

yes, read up on the issues with that cutter that are posted on here. i think us cutter reps r trained to promote that cutter to newbies asking about their 1st cutter. when i called in i was told to buy the mh or a graphtec. i usually start off in the middle with products. long story short , i ended up buying an sc 54" model because wanting a 48" cut. a few yrs later and learning this trade some and buying several used cutters. i def like the graphtec. but if thats to pricey for u , u can still get a servo motor cutter with the titan 2 for half the price. if thats still out of the budget i would suggest the sc2. its an upgraded version of the cutter i have and i have ran mine pretty hard and quite a bit of vinyl thru it without any issues. the only issues were in the beginning, part being caused by shipping. i see someone mentioned for u to check yours for that. when i unboxed mine and assembled it the carriage was off track. after fixing that, the blade wouldnt move up or dn . so ended up needing a new carriage assembly .

His cutter came from UKcutter.  so he is overseas.   He pretty much has to buy what is over there.   UKcutter does sell the PCUT, SEIKI and THE LIYU cutters. 

gman - Just another thing to check. The MH is problematic as mentioned. 

SignCut has live tech support and they are REALLY good. You have to put in for a support ticket on the website and they will usually get back to you pretty quickly. They will get the program side sorted if you have anything within it set wrong. That will eliminate the software side. I am one of a very few who use the SignCut software here on the forum. I do it because I run mac computers AND windows and it's one of the few that will run on both.  

I would try and make sure your choice of measurement increments within SignCut match the metric .25mm that are on the blade box. Can't remember if changing the measure also changes all the same with the offset. Be sure the offset is 0.25 and not accidentally 25 is what I'm saying and if you happened to mess with the increments such as switching to inches (not likely since you are UK based) because 0.25 inches is a whale of a difference than 0.25mm. This may have nothing to do with whats happening but it's possibly something to double check. 

The other possibility is making VERY sure the driver is the correct one. SignCut has tons of machine choice options in the cutter set-up menu. Incorrect choices here could also cause major problems. 

Someone mentioned starting out with a circle or a square and see if it will cut it ok then add another object and see what happens. You're probably getting frustrated and upset about now, I know I would be. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 4:45 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

His cutter came from UKcutter.  so he is overseas.   He pretty much has to buy what is over there.   UKcutter does sell the PCUT, SEIKI and THE LIYU cutters. 

my bad,  sorry was late to the game again lol and just skimmed over the post. guess i need to start reading more before commenting. and used to most being over here on this side of the pond.

I bought a used seiki last yr. it was basically brand new. owner never figured out how to set it up.  seemed to b a decent cutter, i guess somewhat comparable to my SC.  i didnt have it long and  a customer bought it.  if not mistaken the liyu is similar to the SC model.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:34 AM, cardudenc said:

my bad,  sorry was late to the game again lol and just skimmed over the post. guess i need to start reading more before commenting. and used to most being over here on this side of the pond.

I bought a used seiki last yr. it was basically brand new. owner never figured out how to set it up.  seemed to b a decent cutter, i guess somewhat comparable to my SC.  i didnt have it long and  a customer bought it.  if not mistaken the liyu is similar to the SC model.

Hi

I really appreciate all you help n this guys.

Ive had them remotely connect t my laptop and they eventually told me that they thout there was a fault with the usb board.

Ive asked to return it but want a better machine. They have suggested the following if you don't mind taking a look at their message below.

The sc cutter is £4.11 extra and the TC cutter £165 exra. They have ots of others on their site but im a little worried about what to go for.

"For the similar price, I could recommend you to get SC cutter, which you can find bellow:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vinyl-Cutter-Plotter-Quality-Ukcutter-Liyu-SC631-SC1261-A-AM-Optical-Eye/300840646205?hash=item460b7ff63d:m:mxd4U8xsCXJllEDcUhBu01g

Or if you want to get a cutter that would cut small lettering more accurately I can recommend to go with TC cutter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vinyl-Cutter-Plotter-Ukcutter-Liyu-TC631-AA-ARMS-Contour-Cut-28-Inch/273220799847?hash=item3f9d3a8d67:m:mxTOmMiZCJVPEDmyfspxDyg

Both cutters would work with signcut"

The Liyu TC is the better cutter of the 2. But buy the best that you can afford.  It all depends on what you are using it for. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

The Liyu TC is the better cutter of the 2. But buy the best that you can afford.  It all depends on what you are using it for. 

On 1/7/2020 at 12:06 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

Hmmm, read that in your best Yoda voice :)

On 1/7/2020 at 12:03 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

Use your force on the cutter. It is less blade.   more force. 

What are we using it for.

A few things

Merchandise for a band Tshirts, hats, drumskin logs, decals for cars etc

Signage for a business.  large and smaller lettering for windows, price lists. Large business name signs  That sort of thing

My other half is interested in doing etchings on glass,  so small designs for stencils.

What do you think or is there a model that ive not seen that you would recommend

On 1/8/2020 at 5:54 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

On 1/8/2020 at 5:54 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Well most of us here is going to say get a cutter with a servo motor, or get a Graphtec. But it is true that you get what you pay for.  Not all buyers can afford those. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 9:42 PM, cardudenc said:

Hi

Thanks for this. Ive posted the update on the issues. They have sent 2 alternatives as example when i said i wanted an upgrade ( ive put links to them). They originally said the y would

send out a new circuit board with instructions on how to fit it. But, I think its best to get a better cutter.

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Is the TC a good starter cutter or wil i regret buying it?

The buyers who bought them here before, seemed pleased.  That TC model is more advanced then the one that used to be sold here.  I don't own one.  I have a servo cutter.  BUT I used to own a Seiki, before I upgraded to a Graphtec.  The TC cutter is more advanced than the Seiki cutter. 

3 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

The buyers who bought them here before, seemed pleased.  That TC model is more advanced then the one that used to be sold here.  I don't own one.  I have a servo cutter.  BUT I used to own a Seiki, before I upgraded to a Graphtec.  The TC cutter is more advanced than the Seiki cutter. 

3 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Servo cutter are silly money though arnt they?

If you mean more expensive, then yes, but they are well worth it. Saving time, and supplies. Much better tracking. Very quiet.   Set it and forget it.  Settings don't change. Better quality products, cuts very detailed and accurate.  No vinyl static problems, No memory problems. 

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

If you mean more expensive, then yes, but they are well worth it. Saving time, and supplies. Much better tracking. Very quiet.   Set it and forget it.  Settings don't change. Better quality products, cuts very detailed and accurate.  No vinyl static problems, No memory problems. 

sadly my max budget is £4OO to start. I dont think the type your describing is in that range lol

ill go for the TC. 

As im a COMPLETE newbie , it may be useful documenting my journey for others. 

Let see how this goes.

ps. ive messaged them to see what server cutters they have

Thanks for all your help.

29 minutes ago, gman1968 said:

ill go for the TC. 

Let see how this goes.

They do have a website that you can look at.  UKcutter.com  They have servo machines there, but above your budget.   Your welcome.:D

17 hours ago, gman1968 said:

ill go for the TC. 

Let see how this goes.

Nothing wrong with starting out with something affordable. I did. I personally think learning on a budget cutter makes you a better operator. The budget cutters have to be "tuned" a little to cut clean and there are limits to what they will do on large graphics as well as tiny ones. Learning this limit you will be much more appreciative when/if you ever upgrade to a servo machine. Doing this fine tuning repeatedly will train you so you learn to recognize what's happening if something doesn't come out right. 

You sound like what you are starting out with will be one at a time items and that's the best for the budget models. When you start getting into multiple copies of things the memory and tracking are less so they have trouble. My budget model would only safely do about 10 copies of small left chest tee shirt logos or it would wig out and mess things up. I had to sort of hover over it the whole time ready to push the abort button if something went wonky. When my workload started becoming increasingly parser orders I upgraded and now I just load it up and set it to cutting and walk off while it works. I had a couple orders that were several hours of cutting that worked well into the night while I went to bed. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Nothing wrong with starting out with something affordable. I did. I personally think learning on a budget cutter makes you a better operator. The budget cutters have to be "tuned" a little to cut clean and there are limits to what they will do on large graphics as well as tiny ones. Learning this limit you will be much more appreciative when/if you ever upgrade to a servo machine. Doing this fine tuning repeatedly will train you so you learn to recognize what's happening if something doesn't come out right. 

You sound like what you are starting out with will be one at a time items and that's the best for the budget models. When you start getting into multiple copies of things the memory and tracking are less so they have trouble. My budget model would only safely do about 10 copies of small left chest tee shirt logos or it would wig out and mess things up. I had to sort of hover over it the whole time ready to push the abort button if something went wonky. When my workload started becoming increasingly parser orders I upgraded and now I just load it up and set it to cutting and walk off while it works. I had a couple orders that were several hours of cutting that worked well into the night while I went to bed. 

thats the plan. im starting with one off graphics for my shop. Just this alone will make the machine pay for itself. then merch for my sons band. Hopefully this will give me some valuable experience.

• Like 1