gman1968

Help! new user

If it is lifting the vinyl. you have too much blade exposed out of the blade holder.   A correctly set blade will not lift the vinyl.  You only cut with the very tip of the blade. Vinyl is only 2-3 mil. 

My Graphtec tech support told me, to get down eye level with the blade holder down to the vinyl. (Push the blade holder gently down to the vinyl)You just just barely see daylight between the vinyl and the bottom of the blade holder. That is all the gap of blade that you need between the bottom of the blade holder and the vinyl. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

My Graphtec tech support told me, to get down eye level with the blade holder down to the vinyl. (Push the blade holder gently down to the vinyl)You just just barely see daylight between the vinyl and the bottom of the blade holder. That is all the gap of blade that you need between the bottom of the blade holder and the vinyl. 

Will try that now

5 minutes ago, gman1968 said:

Will try that now

He told be to turn the blade all the way in.  Then turn it back out enough to see daylight under the blade holder. Just do it on the cutting strip.  No vinyl.   Then do your test cuts and add force. Back your force off, and add just a little , then cut your test cuts, until it just makes a little bit of marking in your vinyl backing.   Turn the speed way down. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

The correct combination  for blade setting is less blade, more force. It only takes the very tip of the blade to cut.   Test cut looks ripped to me.  Not cut. 

The blade is now about 1/2 mil from the holder? Ive just made an absolute minor adjustment to the blade and it doesn't even mark the vinyl now? 

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Use your force on the cutter. It is less blade.   more force. 

Hmmm, read that in your best Yoda voice :)

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

The correct combination  for blade setting is less blade more force. It only takes the very tip of the blade to cut. 

To late. I read it in a Obi  voice. Cant get it out of my head now and im trying to concentrate

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Use your force on the cutter. It is less blade.   more force. 

Ive increased the force to 300???

I have no clue what your cutter force is supposed to be.   There is no set in stone settings on vinyl cutters.  Even the same model can be different. You are just going to have to keep doing test cuts, with the TEST feature until you get it correct. When you are lifting vinyl while cutting, you have too much blade exposed.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I have no clue what your cutter force is supposed to be.   There is no set in stone settings on vinyl cutters.  Even the same model can be different. You are just going to have to keep doing test cuts, with the TEST feature until you get it correct. When you are lifting vinyl while cutting, you have too much blade exposed.  

Thanks. I will keep trying tonight and see what happens.

Many thanks for your help

Your welcome.:D  Please be advised, that is a bottom of the barrel cutter, that we steer buyers away from.  Too many known problems with them.   We tell buyers to at least buy the SC2 vinyl cutter. 

56 minutes ago, gman1968 said:

Ive increased the force to 300???

300 Seems a little high but as Skeeter said each cutter is a little different. Your cuts look bad bad and I kind of think that you accidentally broke a tip earlier and that has added to the confusion. Happens pretty easy if you are inexperienced and most of us have done the very same more than once so don't feel bad. 

I am a long time SIgnCut Pro1 user. Great program IMO, so good that I stayed with them after upgrading to a high end cutter. I am looking at your cut pic after the test and trying to even figure out how the long cuts that extend from the corners can happen. I am pretty sure those are from way way too much blade offset. If it were just at the start of an object it would be more like too much over-cut. 

I don't know if you have another blade but if you do and have not already done so I would put one in and go through the blade depth setting again like before. When you use "some force" it should not be enough to cut all the way through the backing if the blade was long enough but enough that there is no question that you are getting the most of the cut that is possible with the blade set slightly less than the full thickness of the vinyl and backing combined. 

After making sure you have that set about right then I would take a guess at pressure more around the 90 to 110 gr mark to start with and maybe even try at 70 or so just to be darn sure you don't overdo it and push through too far. Once you get used to your machine you will find that you usually run in one or two pressure ranges based on the type of vinyl. This is more evident on the budget cutters than on higher end machines for whatever reason. 

BEFORE do the test cut for pressure make sure your blade OFF-SET is set around .25mm and your blade OVER-CUT at zero. The MH cutters have to be set within the SIgnCut program I'm pretty sure. Other models may have these tools on the cutter home screen and there is somewhere within SignCut where you choose to let SignCut control these settings or control them on the plotter. 

Lastly, if the design is not copyright protected maybe you can upload the vector design and we can take a peek and make sure there isn't something weird goin on with it. The test cut had rounded corners but didn't look that bad compared to the next picture. 

So I went and looked through SIgnCut a bit to help me remember where things are located. Your Blade offset is in the CUTTER tab as are the Baud rate which is also very important to have right. You'll have to read through your paperwork to be sure of the correct baud rate.

The OVERCUT and some other options are found over in the cut menu when you press the little scissors button. Using the software force and speed settings is set in this area as well. In Advanced settings there is an option for tangential emulation mode and I would avoid using this at least to start with. 

10 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Your welcome.:D  Please be advised, that is a bottom of the barrel cutter, that we steer buyers away from.  Too many known problems with them.   We tell buyers to at least buy the SC2 vinyl cutter. 

oh dear

On 1/7/2020 at 11:09 AM, gman1968 said:

oh dear

On 1/7/2020 at 1:41 AM, Wildgoose said:

300 Seems a little high but as Skeeter said each cutter is a little different. Your cuts look bad bad and I kind of think that you accidentally broke a tip earlier and that has added to the confusion. Happens pretty easy if you are inexperienced and most of us have done the very same more than once so don't feel bad. 

I am a long time SIgnCut Pro1 user. Great program IMO, so good that I stayed with them after upgrading to a high end cutter. I am looking at your cut pic after the test and trying to even figure out how the long cuts that extend from the corners can happen. I am pretty sure those are from way way too much blade offset. If it were just at the start of an object it would be more like too much over-cut. I don't know if you have another blade but if you do and have not already done so I would put one in and go through the blade depth setting again like before. When

I am a long time SIgnCut Pro1 user. Great program IMO, so good that I stayed with them after upgrading to a high end cutter. I am looking at your cut pic after the test and trying to even figure out how the long cuts that extend from the corners can happen. I am pretty sure those are from way way too much blade offset. If it were just at the start of an object it would be more like too much over-cut. 

I don't know if you have another blade but if you do and have not already done so I would put one in and go through the blade depth setting again like before. When you use "some force" it should not be enough to cut all the way through the backing if the blade was long enough but enough that there is no question that you are getting the most of the cut that is possible with the blade set slightly less than the full thickness of the vinyl and backing combined. 

After making sure you have that set about right then I would take a guess at pressure more around the 90 to 110 gr mark to start with and maybe even try at 70 or so just to be darn sure you don't overdo it and push through too far. Once you get used to your machine you will find that you usually run in one or two pressure ranges based on the type of vinyl. This is more evident on the budget cutters than on higher end machines for whatever reason. 

BEFORE do the test cut for pressure make sure your blade OFF-SET is set around .25mm and your blade OVER-CUT at zero. The MH cutters have to be set within the SIgnCut program I'm pretty sure. Other models may have these tools on the cutter home screen and there is somewhere within SignCut where you choose to let SignCut control these settings or control them on the plotter. 

Lastly, if the design is not copyright protected maybe you can upload the vector design and we can take a peek and make sure there isn't something weird goin on with it. The test cut had rounded corners but didn't look that bad compared to the next picture. 

Hi

Right, let me give you a breakdown of what i did from the starr.

First I watched the vids online to make sure i was doing things correctly.

my starting point was speed 70  force 120

i made sure the offset was the same as on the blade packaging (0.25) and made sure the baud was correct at 9600.

I first adjusted the bade and tested it on the vinyl drawing a circle with a cross in t to see if it was too deep or shallow. I adjusted and repeated until only the to layer was cut and it weeded easily.

Then I cut out the logo. I only got one decent logo and the rest went all Pete Tonge on me.

So I changed the blade (three came with the machine) and the problem is still the same!!!

Ive adjusted the speed from 70 down to 10 and back up to the highest it can do and the work still comes out a mess

Today Ive been cutting the vinyl and I can just about see the cut outline of the design. It looks good but cant be weeded , so i adjusted the blade and the force and the same problems occur,

Is this ME or the machine?

Im here with my head in my hands and a sledge hammer

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

What are you trying to post?  I don't see any thing new posted .   Your just quoting past posts.  

Sorry. Android issues

I don't know where you got your cutter from.     Was this a new or used cutter that you got?  Did you purchase it from UScutter?  If so, contact tech support. Is the carriage head wheels firmly down in the track? They must be. 

Speed has nothing to do with cutting correctly.  The lowest speed is advised.  There are no set in stone settings.  Force is determined by how you set your blade depth.  Blade depth must be correct from the git go.   If your lifting vinyl, you have too much blade exposed. You have to just experiment and find the correct combination of the blade depth and force.   Have you checked the  carriage head arm that holds the blade holder to make sure it is not cracked? 

Can you show a picture of the end of the blade holder with the blade sticking out?  Maybe we can see if you have too much blade exposed.   All value cutters take time to fine tune them.   You need to start with the instructions that I posted, The blade holder in your hand, firmly cutting the  vinyl. Then put the blade holder back in your cutter, and adjust the force. like .05 at a time. until it is barely making a mark in the wax paper backing. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. 

I would suggest keep using the test cut on the machine itself till you get it cutting good. Then move on to your actual design. This accomplishes three things, it give you a known good cut design, it eliminated software on the computer, and it minimizes vinyl usage.

Unless they've changed the patter, the test cut should be a square, about 1" in size, with a star inside of it. You should be able to easily weed the star without pulling up the edges, or vice versa, weed the edges without pulling up the star. After you pull up the star or the edges, pull up the other so that you can clearly see any marking on the backing paper. At most it should look like you ran a pen over it and put a slight indention into it. If the backing is cut at all you have too much blade exposed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

I would suggest keep using the test cut on the machine itself till you get it cutting good. Then move on to your actual design. This accomplishes three things, it give you a known good cut design, it eliminated software on the computer, and it minimizes vinyl usage.

Unless they've changed the patter, the test cut should be a square, about 1" in size, with a star inside of it. You should be able to easily weed the star without pulling up the edges, or vice versa, weed the edges without pulling up the star. After you pull up the star or the edges, pull up the other so that you can clearly see any marking on the backing paper. At most it should look like you ran a pen over it and put a slight indention into it. If the backing is cut at all you have too much blade exposed.

The test cuts are perfect. I've done about 100. They blade cuts the vinyl perfect without any marks on the backing. The test cuts weed easy and sharp. 

Wheni then do the design it goes silly. 

This is the Ukcutter Mh721 bought from a legit company with excellent reviews. 

23 minutes ago, gman1968 said:

This is the Ukcutter Mh721 bought from a legit company with excellent reviews. 

Start with just typing some text, Something simple.  Don't be trying to cut some design.  If it is lifting the vinyl, them back off the force.   Have you contacted UKcutter?  They are your tech support. 

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Start with just typing some text, Something simple. If it is lifting the vinyl, them back off the force.   Have you contacted UKcutter?  They are your tech support. 

Thanks, I typed text and adjusted the force. I've emailed them for help. 

I just wasn't to send this machine back and start again.