gman1968

Help! new user

I've recently purchased an mh721. 

I've used up so much vinyl trying to get a simple  design cut for a t-shirt transfer and I'm about to give up!!

I've watched videos on Youtube and set the machine and blade correctly. I've tried every combination of speed and force that is possible and yet its still not right. I've changed blades and cleaned any residue from the blade. I've changed to different vinyl and the problem still occurs. 

Can ANYONE help? 

IMG_20200106_223028.thumb.jpg.740fec88e83eb67d18465ddbc31fe229.jpg

15783503711583433435619868086298.jpg

You watched videos to set the blade?  How did that video tell you to set the blade?  Just from looking at the vinyl, you have way too much blade exposed. 

This is the correct way and will work every time to set your blade depth

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.   

Hi. Im using DeTApe WA White Matt.

I travelled to a Vinyl wholesalers  (All the main sign designers in my area use them)They have a great reputation . I asked which is best for me to use.and this is one f them they gave to me.

The vinyl in the photo looks to have blue backing. That is not heat press vinyl, the vinyl in the photo will not work for shirts.

How exactly are you setting your blade depth?

3 minutes ago, gman1968 said:

Hi. This is what i have done. It cut the vinyl and didnt mark the backing.

How did you set your blade depth?  Just because you are not marking the backing, does not mean it is correctly set.  Your blade is ripping up the vinyl. so it has too much blade exposed.   Vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick, so you only cut with the very tip of the blade. You should just barely see the blade tip out of the blade holder.

From looking at DeTape's web page, they do not make any HTV. If you're just doing crafting, most craft stores sell HTV in sheets. You pay a bit more per square inch, but it's not bad for one off shirts.

Just now, darcshadow said:

The vinyl in the photo looks to have blue backing. That is not heat press vinyl, the vinyl in the photo will not work for shirts.

How exactly are you setting your blade depth?

I took it out of the machine. Drew a circle and a cross on the vinyl and weeded it, adjusted the blade and repeated  until it only cut through the vinyl.

You have to firmly cut by hand on the vinyl like the cutter will do.   Have you looked at the tip, to make sure you have not broken the tip off?

Does the blade spin freely? Is the tip broken. Kind of looks like the vinyl is being ripped rather than cut.

• Like 1

Strange. I tested a square of a tshirt and it adhered fine?

If I change the vinyl, wont the problem still occur?

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

You have to firmly cut by hand on the vinyl like the cutter will do. 

Yes. Used firm force, CAn hardly see the blade out of the carrier

1 minute ago, darcshadow said:

Does the blade spin freely? Is the tip broken. Kind of looks like the vinyl is being ripped rather than cut.

How do i test this?

Look at the blade tip and see if it is broken off.  I run my cutter for 9 months before changing blades.  There is no vinyl residue on the blade. 

3 minutes ago, gman1968 said:

How do i test this?

Ive taken the holder off.Striped it down and cleaned it out.

7 minutes ago, gman1968 said:

Strange. I tested a square of a tshirt and it adhered fine?

If I change the vinyl, wont the problem still occur?

Yes, different vinyl won't fix this problem, so we'll need to get it sorted out first. But for making shirts, sign vinyl will not work. Unless maybe you just plan to wear the shirt once then toss it.

1 minute ago, darcshadow said:

Yes, different vinyl won't fix this problem, so we'll need to get it sorted out first. But for making shirts, sign vinyl will not work. Unless maybe you just plan to wear the shirt once then toss it.

Right. Ive realised that I was given a freebie and was using sign vinyl ( what a tool i am). 

Ive taken the blade holder out and pressed harder when i tested it, then adjusted it some more and im just doing another cut now to see how it turns out. 

Fingers crossed

You should be using the TEST feature on the vinyl cutter, which only uses a very small amount of vinyl.  It makes like a square and a triangle or similar as a TEST. (It is very small). You can check the blade depth that way, instead of trying to cut a design and wasting vinyl. 

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You should be using the TEST feature on the vinyl cutter, which only uses a very small amount of vinyl.  It makes like a square and a triangle or similar as a TEST. You can check the blade depth that way, instead of trying to cut a design and wasting vinyl. 

Many thanks. I did that previously and it weeded just fine.Then when I came to do the design it all went wrong. 

Ive just done another test cut and just trying the design again.

You don't even mention what cutting software that your using,  Or whether your using a vector design. Which you must be. Or whether the file is even good. 

4 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You don't even mention what cutting software that your using,  Or whether your using a vector design. Which you must be. Or whether the file is even good. 

Signcut Pro 1 and using a vector design. 

The correct combination  for blade setting is less blade, more force. It only takes the very tip of the blade to cut.   Test cut looks ripped to me.  Not cut.