Sign in to follow this  
mihaidimitras

Graphtec 8600 vs 9000

Hello guys

I'm trying to decide what to buy and will need your help on this( Graphtec 8600 vs 9000) . We already have a Titan 3 cutter in house that works perfectly for vinyls but to cut  thicker materials is a problem. HIP 3930 is the main material( all prismatic and reflective materials)  , i need a machine capable to cut this material  in big quantities . I have no experience in using this machines maybe some of you who works with this machines every day could give me some pro and cons for this machines and which one is better in long run.

Thanks in advance . 

• Like 1

The Graphtec FC9000  just came out.  I have not seen anyone purchase it yet.  They should be getting rid of inventory on the FC8600.  I don't  see any major changes.  I own a FC8000.    and FC7000.  I don't see that much changed, other than 2 users can set conditions.  They still have the same force.   All of the FC cutters are built like a tank. And are heavy duty.   My FC8000 was bought used and was set up for reflective,  They added 2 extra pinch rollers and were using the red top blade holder.  It is a 30" wide cutter.     The FC9000 has the same force as my FC7000  that is over 10 years old. 

According to specs  the Titan 3 has 750 gram force, which is more than the Graphtec FC vinyl cutters at 600 gram force. 

Have you tried making multiple passes with the Titan 3? 

yes i did try multiple passes and  the blade holder starts to get clogged with dust like particles from the sheet . It struggles especially when cutting words. 

When I got this used FC8000, It was not cleaned. It had that stuff all over it,   gritty everywhere. and lots of adhesive stuck to the throat of it.  It's just the way the material is. It was very obvious that it had been used for cutting reflective. And heavy reflective, because they added the 2 pinch rollers.   Standard pinch rollers on a Graphtec is 2 pinch rollers up to the wider models. 24" and 30" are only 2 pinch rollers.

This is why i want to buy a different cutter,  everybody recommends FC8600 and says it's meant for this kind of jobs. The Titan 3 is a great machine but for regular vinyls. Does not works perfectly for thicker ones like HIP or diamond grade not so much in my practice. And i think the advantage of the Graphtech is the die cutting what Titan does not have .

Like skeeter suggested die cutting with steel dies and a hydraulic press would do what you want . . . Just more expensive every time you have dies produced.  They do make dedicated rotary die cutters that would be several thousand dollars but if producing thousand os the same shape might fit your need.   I have some green 3m industrial material that I wouldn’t subject any plotter to, I use it for house number signe and manually trim around aluminum blanks.  Wicked stuff and I came into a roll big enough for a few lifetimes very reasonable, gteat for its purpose but wicked thick

Dies with a air powered press would be great, just find the equipment and supplier to produce the dies

7 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Dies with a air powered press would be great, just find the equipment and supplier to produce the dies

There is a guy on here that did that, not too long ago.  He was trying to use an FC with special material. Like die cut.

• Like 1

Yes you are right perf cut that is what i meant but int the description for the FC 9000 :

CONTOUR & DIE CUT

Separate tool positions for contour and die cutting ensures the longevity of your blades and cutting strip when creating decals and graphics that are effortlessly popped out of sheet and roll media.

Not sure how they market them up there in Canada but the Summa S2 T series cutters are true tangential heads that steer the blade along the vector and are supposed to be remarkable compared to drag knife cutters especially when cutting things like you are talking about or small stuff. I have wanted one really bad just cause I'm a cutter snob I guess. Have not had the wherewithal to get chewed out by my better half for dropping that much cash on something I don't absolutely need. (the nerve of her questioning me like that, hurump) They only sell them in a very few dealers here in the states but I think it's more normal out of country. Worth looking at and I'd be jealous if you get one. 

On the 750 grams force on the Titan I have always wanted someone to test this against an FC at 600. I kind of winder if it's accurate or not. FC's are renowned for dealing with thick stuff. I watched the Titan in a video running at supposedly 350mm/sec of such speed but my summa (drag knife version) runs about that fast at just 200mm/sec so it makes me wonder. Not dogging them because for the price they are still a good buy for what you get. I guess if you get an FC you can do the test in house, if you do definitely post some results. Inquiring minds what to know. 

• Like 2

Graphtec FC9000, welcome to year 2010 Summa S Class features. 

Lol all jokes aside, but for that price, you should look into a Summa S2T. All the features the New FC offers has been on the Summa S class since 2010. While I have never owned a Graphtec, but people on the "other" forums who have used both says the S class just edges out the FC in just about everything. I don't know since I have never owned one but I heard the durability of Graphtec is second to none.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:15 PM, Wildgoose said:

Not sure how they market them up there in Canada but the Summa S2 T series cutters are true tangential heads that steer the blade along the vector and are supposed to be remarkable compared to drag knife cutters especially when cutting things like you are talking about or small stuff. I have wanted one really bad just cause I'm a cutter snob I guess. Have not had the wherewithal to get chewed out by my better half for dropping that much cash on something I don't absolutely need. (the nerve of her questioning me like that, hurump) They only sell them in a very few dealers here in the states but I think it's more normal out of country. Worth looking at and I'd be jealous if you get one. 

I stop using the tangential feature and just use the drag knife. It's loud when cutting and only useful when cutting intricate designs. The plus side is the tangential head offers 600 grams of down force even when pair with the drag knife vs 400 grams/f on the non tangential head. I am a tool snob too lol and wanted the best they offer but having used both, I can definitely live without the tangential feature but not the lesser force. 

• Like 1