Sign in to follow this  
AndreaJohnson

Set Up Problem

We just recently bought  brand new US Cutter SC2 and unfortunately were not able to set it up for a while and when we did I can't get it set up. When turning it on it does as shown in the attached video. Does anyone know how ai can fix it?  New to this type of cutter just switched from a small Cameo silhouette. Thank you 

What cutting software are you cutting with?  Are you sending vector designs?  Which computer operating system?  Did you match the com port number from your computer device manager with the com port number in your cutting software?  You must.  Which driver did you use?   This cutter is not plug and play.  And nothing like a Silhouette.   Push in the reset button the side.   Contact tech support tomorrow. 

OK, Ms. Johnson, I think we can solve this one fairly easily.

There is a limiter switch in the upper housing, it seems to be failing to activate (stopping the travel of the cutter carriage at the right).

I've never taken apart my SC2, but it seems similar to the MH in design, which means, both end-caps will pop off (a few screws holding the end pieces). Then, you manage to open the top cover (you'll reveal the carriage ribbon and keypad controller assembly) and access the microswitch, and note if it has a metal contact arm that probably is slightly bent.

I hate to have you get into violating the 'innards' of a new machine, but it's not that daunting if you can use a philipps screwdriver.

The carriage kill switches on the LP are visible, but stopped working fairly early into the life of the machine, even though I only really needed them to work once (to learn my lesson), but If there was something going awry with the job, I would sometime use my finger to depress the kill switch to stop the job ... and then the it just didn't work any more.

That being said, how about you try and set the point or origin away from being flush to the side of the machine - that way, there is room for the carriage in the case of accidental overcuts. Also, since you're not mentioning the software you're using, I would check to make sure that the media size is the same as the actual media you're using in the cutter, so that the machine knows what the "limits" are of whatever it's being fed.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I probably should figure out how to make a short video of the process of locating that 'kill switch' above the rail.

That SC2 machine is sitting in my garage and I could get a tripod set up to capture me doing the dissassembly procedure.

Let me try that, I'll be back.................................