Sign in to follow this  
dovermts

Adhesive vinyl question

Hi everyone I am trying to do my own body wraps for my race car to save some money. I am trying to figure out what vinyl i need and if i need to laminate it.It will get wet and some good abuse. Will only be in sunlight a small amount of time and will replaced in a couple months. I have a canon ipf60 imagePROGRAF printer 36". I believe it uses dye/pigment ink. My question is what vinyl do i need that will be cheap but strong to take a beating. If i do need to laminate what product would i use? I can do the artwork part i am kind of lost on the printing part.I don't want to order the wrong vinyl. I have a refine vinyl cutter that i have used for years and it is a great machine. I just want to update my stuff a bit. thanks in advance for help.

:rolleyes:

first thing I would look for is if they even make a cast aqueous vinyl - if so you would need to laminate.  Now if you car is all flat surfaces you may get away with a calendered for s season - with a wrap your plotter won't even come into play unless you do a solid color wrap with a product like oracal 951 and then cut the design out of contrasting 951 - again that would be for a non printed solution.  if you want to print your own wraps buy a $8500 HP latex printer, laminator or use what the pros use and get a solvent printer and laminator.   if you use the canon to print on an aqueous vinyl, make sure to laminate it and keep it in the trailer or garage when not racing/

• Like 1

Thats kind of what i figured. It sits in my shop95% of the time. It is all flat surfaces. I just like to do as much as possible my self. Canon has some vinyl I found That claims to lock the ink in the vinyl. Maybe i will research that a bit more.

Don’t forget to laminate so it doesn’t run in the raain (particulat problem with aqueous ink)