Alund

MH Series 34" - Mac User Software help?

I received the MH-871 34" Cutter as a gift but it is my understanding that the software provided is not compatible with my Macbook (gifter did not know this information prior to purchase). Is there some sort of low-to-no cost software I can use to make this work for my computer? This is just a hobby machine for me, I cannot afford to stick a ton of money into software, but at the same time I would feel horrible returning this gift (I also think I may be past the return date). Help!!

or get a real cheap laptop/desktop for the plotter - I use a dedicated cheap older computer for mine and design on my main computer 

• Like 1

I have  $50 Dell Inspiron that works fine. With SignBlazer and VM (and a built-in Serial port).

This is not rocket science.

46 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

I have  $50 Dell Inspiron that works fine. With SignBlazer and VM (and a built-in Serial port).

This is not rocket science.

I was asking for advice to use with my mac (why I turned to the Mac users board), not snide side comments - but thanks.

There are a couple of programs that are compatible with mac. Here are a few:

#1. I use SignCut Pro 1. It is a cut-only program designed to work in tandem with a design program like Adobe Illustrator (my tool of choice) or Corel Draw or Inkscape (free option). They SignCut people have a Pro 2 version out now that has some design capabilities as well to be more along the lines of a design and cut combo but I have not tried that version. EITHER one will cost you either a weekly, monthly, yearly license fee or you can buy a lifetime dongle. Not free but extremely capable and not only mac friendly but also pc friendly as well. USCutter used to send a years license with new cutters but have stopped, not sure why. 

#2. USCutter sells Sure Cuts A Lot Pro that is also mac compatible. There are several users on here that run it. You might be able to exchange it or something through USCutter but I'm just a forum moderator (volunteer unpaid helper) so I wouldn't know anything other than to say it's worth asking them. 

#3. I have no personal experience with it but the open source group who build and modify Inkscape the free vector design program also have some version of cutter control out there I THINK it's called Inkcut but that may be wrong. I have heard of a few who have used it and ASSUME that since they have a mac build of inkscape they also have a mac build of this. Lots of assumptions in there....

Generally speaking there aren't very many FREE options. Inscape being one well known and capable design program (possibly cut too) and the other is the pc-only SignBlazer mentioned by the well meaning if sometimes misunderstood slice&dice. (he loves that old program even though I think he secretly uses Vinyl Master now) It is an old abandoned all in one program that many many people still use and can get it free of charge. I am like you and avoid windows whenever possible so I get ya. 

• Like 1

USCUTTER website itself clearly states, the MH is not compatible with a mac. This is information that's readily available and has been discussed here ad-nauseum..

My final suggestion here for you -- Just reach out to USCUTTER and obtain authorization for returning/upgrading the (new-in-box) machine. Or sell it on craigslist or LetGo.

I did not mention that I too like my compadre's use a windows laptop just for cutting. I do my design work on my mac but usually pull the design off the computer via a thumb drive and go cut it on a laptop on the other side of the room. I do this so I keep my design computer unencumbered while the machine is cutting. Having the SignCut Pro 1 Dongle I can switch computers at any time if my windows laptop decides to blue screen or crap out which happens all too often. 

Slice mentions the note on the MH series that warn about mac compatibility. Some have made it work so that's still debatable but if you're brand new to cutting it can be a steep learning curve on a perfect setup let alone getting mixed and matched equipment. 

SignCut Pro offers a week free trial. I would try that out and see if you can get it to work and then you'll have some more information to mull over going forward. If you have not unboxed your cutter then maybe leave it boxed and try to return/exchange. Just my $0.02

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 12:08 PM, Alund said:

I was asking for advice to use with my mac (why I turned to the Mac users board), not snide side comments - but thanks.

Slice's comment was not meant to be snide, it was just a simple statement implying that it's not difficult to get a cutter running. A $50 working laptop that comes with cutting software is a better deal than you're aware of, in fact, it's a generous offer.

I agree with Wildgoose - if you haven't unboxed it yet, see if you can exchange it for a cutter that is Mac compatible.

I use both Windows and Mac platforms, but will admit that cutting on Windows is not just easier, but more flexible and powerful (when you get to the skill level).

If you've already unboxed it, and/or are committed to keeping this particular cutter, then the software choices have been laid out for you, or you can bootcamp with a Windows OS, then use whatever software that came with the machine.

• Like 1

The MH uses a serial comm interface so in theory there is no reason you couldn't use a Mac you just need software that uses the proper serial communications. I do not have a Mac, so I am of no help on that side of things. Inkscape is a very powerful and free design program, that does have a cutting capability built in. The cut capabilities is very basic, although for a hobbyist, it works well. I used Inkscape almost exclusively for years for both design and cut. Only recently have I started using VM for cutting.