DecalGang

Automatic Sheet Cutting

Is there any cutter available that can cut decal roll into smaller sheets? For example, if I am using a 24" wide roll, can it cut into 12"x12" pieces. Each sheet will have various sizes of decals.

nope.

you do not ever want your blade to go through the backing on into the cutting strip. If you need smaller sheets to cut, then you would need to cut them by hand.

the only way to get around that, is if you have a sticky carrier sheet beneath your vinyl, like how cricut cutters use. if you don't use that, then the blade might snag on the vinyl, and then you'd cause undue stress to the mechanics of the cutter.

I don't know about a vertical split but there are definitely print/cut options that will cross cut with a separate blade. I couldn't get the HP video to run but I think they probably have the drop blade that will cut across. One of the Summa's will do that too I believe. There is no way around some hand work through because you still have to weed them and I bet you'll have enough waste that it might pay off better to hand cut line haumana suggests. Unless you are cranking out a LOT of sheets you can cut them down pretty quickly and they will weed better before you cut them all apart I would think. Most of the high production shops print on one machine and move them to a plotter to contour cut. 

Just my $0.02, but this just one man's opinion, your mileage may vary.

37 minutes ago, DecalGang said:

@haumana

Check out the video from 1:53 https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/HPLATEX115PRINTANDCUT

If you noticed, that printer/cutter did not cut it all the way into individual squares, which is what you were asking.

If you found a solution that might work for you, why are  you still inquiring?

I found one of the neolt trimmers like a shop I worked in had - on ebay for $200 shipped - pretty sure they paid close to that in shipping alone but it has been one of the most used pieces of equipment over the past 10 years.  even after selling the solvent printers this trimmer will stay with us for a long time as it is too handy.  link below for one similar to mine.  the Neolt are built in italy and very clean accurate cuts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neolt-Trim-150-Paper-Trimmer-Cutter-W-Stand-Catcher-Local-Pick-up-Only/264501715838?hash=item3d9587e37e:g:-SAAAOSwgGJdqF-z

• Like 1