Sign in to follow this  
RachelM

How much to pay employee / contractor?

I searched for an existing topic like this, but couldn't find one and since yall have been great with other Qs I've had I thought I'd bring this one to you too. Most of the time I can do all the work myself, but currently it's busy season, and I've asked the previous owner if they would want to do weeding for me. I cut, they weed and apply transfer tape, I package and ship.

My Q: How much should I pay them per hour? They are super skilled because theyve done it for years, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't even do it as quickly myself. I absolutely can't keep up with the work myself at this time, and wholesale customers want things now, not after Christmas. I absolutely refuse to pay anywhere close to as low as minimum wage. It's insulting to them because their time is worth way more than that, and I don't want to run my business like that. So... any thoughts? 

Also, want to do it as a contractor, not employee, because... they are not an employee.

I'd probably start with figuring out how many hours per week you need and then asking them if they're interested and if so, how much would they need to earn.  You might be surprised at their number, either high or low.  They could be bored, have lots of time and not care about the money and want to just do it for a little fun money.  Or they may not really want to do it, but if the price is right...

Once you know what they need to make you can determine if it's worth it to you for them to do it.  It's kinda hard to just give a number without knowing all the details and the P&L of your business like you do.

I actually install a lot of signage from flat metal, formed plastic letters, lighted channel letters, back lighted box signs and everything in between my average rate averages between $40.00 to $60 per hour I give bids in advance so the price is included in the price the person gives.

• Like 2