Sign in to follow this  
Carmigirl

PrismCut

I have been doing a little research on this plotter. I’m looking for a backup. Use to using graphtecs but my question is is this a plotter more for hobbyists?

You might need to wait until someone form USC or an actual owner to chime in with an experienced answer.

I would guess, based on price, features and specifications, that's it's a high end hobby, or a starter small business machine. Keep in mind that it has a stepper motor, so the level of accuracy is probably not on par with the Graphtec, but depending what you're cutting (or plotting), you might not need that level of accuracy. For that ballpark of money, I would probably kick in a little more the Titan.

If you end up buying one, please let us know your thoughts about it.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 6:05 PM, Carmigirl said:

I have been doing a little research on this plotter. I’m looking for a backup. Use to using graphtecs but my question is is this a plotter more for hobbyists?

A number of people have been wondering if the PrismCut is for professionals or high end hobbyists.It seems that the specifications and performance of the PrismCut tend to blur those lines:

On the one hand the sleek design suggests a high end hobbyist machine, but at the same time it can cut tiny 2mm lettering at a level of precision you will not find on other cutter/plotters regardless of price. So we have to ask ourselves what can a "professional" machine do that the PrismCut cannot? Early users are saying that PrismCut delivers high quality professional looking results, so however you want to label it is largely a question of personal preference.

14 minutes ago, David@USCutter said:

A number of people have been wondering if the PrismCut is for professionals or high end hobbyists.It seems that the specifications and performance of the PrismCut tend to blur those lines:

On the one hand the sleek design suggests a high end hobbyist machine, but at the same time it can cut tiny 2mm lettering at a level of precision you will not find on other cutter/plotters regardless of price. So we have to ask ourselves what can a "professional" machine do that the PrismCut cannot? Early users are saying that PrismCut delivers high quality professional looking results, so however you want to label it is largely a question of personal preference.

Here is a challenge that will show it's up to the task - duplicate these cuts on the prismcut and post - will be a big boost for the plotter.  The car was done by our late friend mr300s and is from the bill woods car cd - on a ce5000 - the ega was done on a ce5000.  will be a great way to show off the capabilities of the new plotter or even pick one of the winning designs from last years contest USC sponsored on the forum.

small.jpg

IMG_2146c.jpg

for comparison this is the same ega done on a titan2 within minutes of me unboxing and with a new cleancut blade installed

P3150002 (2)b.jpg

We have accepted this challenge, and are back with the results!

And here is a close-up of the final result after weeding:USMC_Logo_challenge.thumb.jpg.49451141c6c2dd4843bd154d3b240c2b.jpg

The vinyl used in our test was Siser Easyweed in Matte Black, and it was cut with GreenStar Premium - Roland Compatible Blades.

For more information and videos about the Prismcut, please visit PrismCut.com

We're excited to be able to share these results with you all, please let us know what you think!

• Like 3

it shows great precision - the easyweed makes it easier on the person doing the weeding - have to admit the precision part held up to the challenge 

• Like 1

Reminds me a little of the good old Copam that was also a stepper motor but I think a better quality stepper. I think it's like anything, there are grades of performance within steppers and servos motors alike. You do get what you pay for and for a mid level machine that looks pretty darn good. Dakota has a point, HTV is sort of cheating on the weed end because the little tags that would cause issue with the weed are less likely to cause issues in HTV but none-the-less that is pretty nice accuracy from what I see. The premium blades are a must too if trying to go down to this kind of level. 

• Like 1