cindus1

Pattern in font-VM Pro

Good Morning,

I have VM Pro and have a question.  Someone sent me a design they saw and liked, the font looked like the picture below in blue and gold.  I purchased an image with the triangle pattern similar to the black and white below, but I can't figure out how to get the pattern into the shape of the font.  I'm sure it's a lot easier than I'm making it.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  I just have the basics mastered, so please water down any explanations :D

image.png.48adf5671aaad9314267ffbb3b083128.png

image.png.b17aefca1a621b014154a30876d12d5e.png

Thanks,

Cindy

Don't know about VM, but look for mask. Put the pattern over the font and "mask" Or font over pattern. Forget if it is over or under.

15 minutes ago, bikemike said:

Don't know about VM, but look for mask. Put the pattern over the font and "mask" Or font over pattern. Forget if it is over or under.

I thought I tried everything, but I didn't see mask.  I'll have to look again.  Thank you!

• Like 1

I don't believe the Pro version has the mask tools.

Is the triangle pattern a raster image or a vector? If vector, you can put it behind your text then use the Shapping tool and select Common. I believe that tool is available in VM Pro.

There is a way to do it in VM Pro although it is not easily understood and I have only ever done it once or twice. You will need to have your image inserted then add the object or shape that you want it to be masked by on top. Select both the original picture (I think this can be either a vector image or a bitmap picture image) and the object you want to use to clip it and then select the welding tools toggle and a pop up window comes up that has KEEP as one of the options. Select KEEP and it will basically crop it all away except the part covered by your top object. If your top object had color fill you will have to select and drag it to the side but beneath it will have trimmed your picture. 

This operation is pretty much how things work in most other programs but I couldn't find it listed in the help menu. I am more an Adobe Illustrator guy and it's much more clear within AI than in VM but IS Possible with some messing around. I have never tried to print from VM so you're on your own there. 

Put your object on top of the background you want, select both objects, then right click, pick shaping, and then common.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.