nrosenw

Has anyone made their own MH 871 media basket?

Hey guys! I'm new here but have been using a craft cutter for cutting vinyl for around a year now. I've decided that I want to ditch that craft machine and buy something better and larger, preferably the MH 871. My only concern is that I have dirtied up some cut vinyl in the past and I would like to have a media catch basket to prevent that, so has anyone here made their own or does anyone with an MH 871 have any ideas in their head about how to go about that? I will likely buy the MH 871 anyways, but I'd still like to have an answer to this question first before I commit. Thanks!

The only way an MH is a step up is in size. You should look at an SC or better. Which craft cutter do you have, most of them are quit good at small detail and the MH is not. At least not without a lot of tweeking and tuning.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, darcshadow said:

The only way an MH is a step up is in size. You should look at an SC or better. Which craft cutter do you have, most of them are quit good at small detail and the MH is not. At least not without a lot of tweeking and tuning.

I'm trying to move up from a CAMEO 3 with a Graphtec CB09 blade holder. I don't think I need the best precision because I largely cut vehicle decals and graphics but I'm not the expert here lol

A Cameo to the MH cutter is night and day, With the Cameo being very good, just small.  A MH will never cut like a Graphtec. Plus they are very loud, from what other posters have said.  Bad tracking, Static problems, communication problems. Very limited memory.  Can only be ran on a Windows program,   An SC cutter is much better than the MH, as was already stated. 

No matter what you cut, you want it to look professionally done.  Servo cutters are much more accurate over a bottom of the barrel stepper cutter. If you have a good business, just step up to a servo cutter and be done with it. It will pay for its self in time and material.  Stepper cutters, pretty much have to be tinkered with on any job. Job to job they may change.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the cameo is actually a graphtec, just small. You'll be extremely frustrated trying to use an MH. Even an SC will probably be a bit frustrating at times. And if you're wanting to do large decals an MH is not a good option as it's tracking is not very good over long distances. Anything bigger than about 24" and it's a gamble if the cuts will line up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys! I had ordered a refurbished MH just in case since it was on a decent sale but I'll likely return it now. I had no idea that the CAMEO 3 was that good/the MH was that inaccurate. I'll look into getting an SC2 then. I don't know if I can afford anything above an SC2 but going above a 12" wide media size is the most important thing I'm looking for in a new cutter right now.