Kaylene

Application help with printable adhesive vinyl

I am creating promotional tabletop trifolds for the college I work for. The panels are printed onto adhesive vinyl (with an Epson 9900 inkjet) and then attached to Sintra board. Does anyone have any suggestions for what might work best for applying these prints (18x24 in size) to the Sintra board so that I get minimal bubbles and don't smear the ink in the process? I'm assuming that I need a large squeegee?  felt tipped?  Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

I have a vinyl cutter and use the Oracal 631 to create titles, etc for art exhibits; therefore I have transfer tape and the small squeegees but I'm thinking these wouldn't work well with the printable adhesive vinyl... not sure. Please give me your thoughts.

haven't used anything from that particular printer but if the ink is dry it shouldn't smear - - - for 18x24 yard signs I always used my felt covered big squeegee - made by . . . .big squeegee. I printed them slightly oversized and later learned to add registration tic marks in 2 of the corners to speed the process.  I would start in the middle and when I peeled the backing off just cut it straight and apply the first 1/2 - then turn it around and repeat.  it is helpful to use the overlap art of the vinyl to adhere it to my cutting mat so it didn't slide.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

haven't used anything from that particular printer but if the ink is dry it shouldn't smear - - - for 18x24 yard signs I always used my felt covered big squeegee - made by . . . .big squeegee. I printed them slightly oversized and later learned to add registration tic marks in 2 of the corners to speed the process.  I would start in the middle and when I peeled the backing off just cut it straight and apply the first 1/2 - then turn it around and repeat.  it is helpful to use the overlap art of the vinyl to adhere it to my cutting mat so it didn't slide.

Truth in advertising, that is certainly a big squeegee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

thank you.  I actually have one of those big squeegees (minus the green handle). I guess I was thinking correctly about how to do it.   My first one smeared as I had loaned out the squeegee and ended up using my hands.  (yeah, I know that wasn't the best, but I was pressed for time.)   The video was incredibly helpful.  I kept finding videos using a wet technique but didn't want to mess with that.  I'll order another big squeegee so I always have one in the office.

18 minutes ago, David@USCutter said:

Truth in advertising, that is certainly a big squeegee!

has been worth it's weight in gold during the seasons making golf season, charity fundraising signs that are all along the courses - actually going to miss making those now the printer is gone

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kaylene said:

thank you.  I actually have one of those big squeegees (minus the green handle). I guess I was thinking correctly about how to do it.   My first one smeared as I had loaned out the squeegee and ended up using my hands.  (yeah, I know that wasn't the best, but I was pressed for time.)   The video was incredibly helpful.  I kept finding videos using a wet technique but didn't want to mess with that.  I'll order another big squeegee so I always have one in the office.

if they used an aqueous ink on regular vinyl it will smear as it will never dry - - - they would have to use special aqueous ink media to print on.  but any printer doing this should have that info already

I also have a couple of 12" home made ones for small stuff - using fleece left over from wifes blanket projects and some banner tape was easy to make with 1/4" plexi