TrackHawk707

My subs almost up !

My subscription is almost up ! Im just curious am I the only one who pays for illustrator or is there an older version that works just fine for our field of work home business or not ?! that price is a killer last nov I believe it was 250 for the year with my student discount LOL 

Thanks again for any input ! 

• Like 1

Any kind of subscription kills me. I'm limping all my machines along with CS3 on the PCs and CS5 on the Macs. I'm doing my best not to upgrade anything unless something breaks and I have no choice. The (no legacy software) cost me an arm and leg back in the day, and they still work just fine, so I'm doing what I can to keep them running. 

I know it's a learning curve, but Corel sells straight up licenses for their software.

• Like 1

Same here I have CS5 on my mac although it has a glitch when in the font view you have to be careful how you scroll through or it will crash. That has been going on since I went to version 10:13 High Sierra 

You might take a look at this thread:

• Like 1

Wildgoose, back in the 1990's I first used a computer (yeah, an Apple macintosh, Performa) -- in order to understand the ins-and-outs of working with computers, David Pogue was my mentor (through his book, Macs for Dummies).

One thing that would crop up from time to time was a fatal (BOMB!) error, and Pogue described this as being likely caused by corrupted font suitcases. Solution? -- try https://www.macissues.com/2014/04/18/how-to-troubleshoot-font-problems-in-os-x

(I have seen some reports online of the default font San Francisco being the root cause, for some arcane technical reason).

330px-Macintosh_Performa_5200.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you guys I will be looking more into it. Im in the mix of building a PC just cause Mac has limitation to this field and just trying to explore other options out there now ! hopefully I can kill this subscription cause its driving me nuts lol 

Depending on what all you're doing, Inkscape might be an option to look at. It is free and extremely powerful. I think I've seen on here mention where it is closer to corel than AI in learning how todo stuff, so will probably be a pretty good learning curve as well, but it's hard to beat the price. Inkscape also works well on WIndows(hate the term PC, all computers are PCs unless they are a mainframe), Mac, and Linux.

• Like 1

I've had Inkscape a lot longer on any of my machines than AI or CorelDraw. Admittedly I really only use it for vectorizing my raster images, but I do like the layout and what looks to be a very easy interface. I've recently had to revisit CorelDraw in depth. The last time I used it, I believe it was like on version 2 or 3. Anyway, I've had AI only all my machines a lot longer than CorelDraw, but can honestly say that I have an easier time navigating CorelDraw than I do AI. 

Definitely take a look at Inkscape, because you can't beat that price, but don't close the door on CorelDraw if you the router of building a PC.

• Like 1