Lheezy94

Help please!! Black dots on heat transfer paper after pressing

Hi, I'm quite new to the whole making shirts and garments business and I've been using koala dark heat transfer paper and the first time I use it I get loads of little black dots on my design I'll leave a picture below. Can someone let me know why this has happened please.

Thanks

20191013_044721.jpg

not much info to go on - first thoughts are dirty platen - 2nd is if pressed on a black substrate that it is bleeding thru

looks something similar to what's happening here.

Sorry for the long reply I was using a home iron if that has anything to do with it and parchment paper to cover the heat transfer. The hoodie I put the design on is 80 cotton and 20 polyester if that helps. The design was fine before I heat pressed it but as soon as I peeled the parchment paper the black dots were there. Hope this is enough info to help.

Not familiar with that brand of transfer. It is possible that it's a little thin and doesn't get good coverage on darks. Commercial grade transfers do exist. For dark transfers I usually recommend Neenah 3G Jet Opaque and for white shirts Jet Pro Soft Stretch (JPSS). 

If you intend to do shirts to sell (or even a lot for how use)I would recommend investing in a heat press. There is no comparison between a bonafide heat press and trying to get consistency with a hand iron. I know that several transfers and even some cut vinyl are advertised to be able to hand iron but the difference is the applied product and it's subsequent lifespan is remarkable. 

• Like 1

Ok thanks and Yeah I am going to be investing in a heat press. So would you say neenah make the best quality heat transfer paper?

On 10/19/2019 at 3:46 PM, Lheezy94 said:

Ok thanks and Yeah I am going to be investing in a heat press. So would you say neenah make the best quality heat transfer paper?

For white shirts the JPSS is untouchable. No one even comes close. For darks the 3G seems to be about as good as you can get. I used to do more of the transfers than I do now and I tried several commercial grade options. ALL of the ones for darks have a lousy feel to them even after a washing cycle. Feel like someone glues a piece of paper on your chest. I try to talk most people either into a white shirt so I can use JPSS or altogether away from the transfer onto darks if I can fide another option with HTV etc... I think the only really good way to get full color onto darks that has any kind of hand is DTG printing. Too expensive for my operation but it does do this application good. 

The JPSS on a white cotton or blended shirt is almost not there. I always make sure and trim off the excess around the edges to about 1/8" or less and try not to leave straight lines on the edges where there are open spots between letters etc... and be sure and follow the application instructions and give it a light stretch while hot so it sort of stretches and then settles down in the weave. I have a couple shirts I built for myself that have been through countless wash cycles and they still look great. If you cold peel them they don't last as long and will start to fleck and come loose.

• Like 1

Yh whites seem like it's better cus its more ingrained in the shirt compared to sitting on top like dark however I just enjoy the look of black hoodies and tshirts. How good would you say jet opaque II is I heard that's suppose to be better with polyblends

Give it a try you aren't out much if you buy a small order to test. I recommend a heat press first though. You'll be surprised the difference just that makes. 

I do mostly cut vinyl on smaller volumes. Cut vinyl is so much more vibrant than printed transfers and lasts longer than about anything. It requires a cutter, some design skills and of course a heat press but it's been a great revenue stream. 

• Like 1