jamiefeld

Titan 2 not cutting correctly

Hoping someone can help me out. I updated the iOS on my Mac which then required me to update SCALP4. I then did a large print job (well large for my small, part time business I run out of my basement) and it has messed everything up. It seems to mess up with sharp turns. Any thoughts? This has never happened before.  The star should have perfect points but now they look like starfish. 

4A0F2B24-96CE-4D6D-9527-A7732FC6AFB5.jpeg

0EC7B885-22F4-424A-AD26-6A8F4B7A6BF9.jpeg

3E7CB29C-C40D-4E8F-BA82-CF4299876AE1.jpeg

what I am seeing is the offset is way off - does scalp set the offset for your plotter or is that internal on you plotter?

• Like 2

your blade depth and force might need to be tweaked. the blade should not be cutting into the backing like that.

before your next Mac OSX update, I'd recommend checking with the software companies you use for compatibility.

but Dakota it right, it looks like an offset issue.

15 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

what I am seeing is the offset is way off - does scalp set the offset for your plotter or is that internal on you plotter?

SCALP sets the offset and I’ve tried tweaking it but it doesn’t fix it. This is so frustrating! Do you think I should call SCALP or Titan for support?

What do your test cuts from TEST on the cutter look like? 

Make sure your blade depth is set correctly,

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.  You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder. 

8 minutes ago, jamiefeld said:

SCALP sets the offset and I’ve tried tweaking it but it doesn’t fix it. This is so frustrating! Do you think I should call SCALP or Titan for support?

definitely scalp as it has not been a problem with other softwares and you said it started after an update.  Seems we are seeing a lot more issues on mac and scalp than any other combination during the past few months :(

20 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

What do your test cuts from TEST on the cutter look like? 

Make sure your blade depth is set correctly,

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.  You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder. 

TEST cut looks perfect. So I'm guessing it's SCALP.

17 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

definitely scalp as it has not been a problem with other softwares and you said it started after an update.  Seems we are seeing a lot more issues on mac and scalp than any other combination during the past few months :(

Do you know of any other software that is compatible with Mac that is good? I have deadlines I need to meet and this making it very challenging. 

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

https://signcutpro.com/       is for a Mac

Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately it doesn’t support the type of files I’ve been using. (I turn my handlettering i do on my iPad into wood signs using vinyl stencil. I like the basic ness of SCALP4). So I may try uninstalling the Mac iOS upgrade and see if that fixes it. I really hope that works. 

You should save all of your files as an .eps file. That way you can import them into most any design/cutting software.   Doesn't SCALP save or export as .eps?     First your limiting yourself to a MAC,  (very few cutting softwares for a Mac)  Now your limiting yourself to only 1 software by your file format. 

It doesn't look like SCALPRO has the ability to export files as .eps, but it does have the ability to export them as .svg, which is what I'd recommend, since it is also widely used.

I agree that it is definitely a good practice to keep files in a format that can be used in a wide variety of programs, in case you ever want to cut it or edit it in a program other than the one you made it in originally.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, David@USCutter said:

It doesn't look like SCALPRO has the ability to export files as .eps, but it does have the ability to export them as .svg, which is what I'd recommend, since it is also widely used.

I agree that it is definitely a good practice to keep files in a format that can be used in a wide variety of programs, in case you ever want to cut it or edit it in a program other than the one you made it in originally.

that surprises me as every program I use exports to eps (I had scalp when it first came out and uninstalled it pretty quickly so not up on latest updates)   but then again scal was developed for the cricut cutters so I guess not that surprising.  
Any word on when the vinylmaster for mac might be available?  got a tidbit a few months ago on that and then nothing new

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

that surprises me as every program I use exports to eps (I had scalp when it first came out and uninstalled it pretty quickly so not up on latest updates)   but then again scal was developed for the cricut cutters so I guess not that surprising.  
Any word on when the vinylmaster for mac might be available?  got a tidbit a few months ago on that and then nothing new

Unfortunately, we have not received any new information about a possible Mac version, we will likely need to wait for another announcement directly from them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jamiefeld said:

Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately it doesn’t support the type of files I’ve been using. (I turn my handlettering i do on my iPad into wood signs using vinyl stencil. I like the basic ness of SCALP4). So I may try uninstalling the Mac iOS upgrade and see if that fixes it. I really hope that works. 

SignCut does svg just fine. I use mac computers and SignCut Pro 1 and it's a great workflow. USCutter used to provide a years subscription to SIgnCut Pro 1 with new cutter purchases. There is a new Pro 2 version out that has a little more design capability but I do my design work in Adobe Illustrator anyway so that part is no concern. I got used to SignCut and continue to use it to this day even after upgrading to a servo cutter but I went ahead and purchased the lifetime dongle so I didn't have to pay rent on the program and so I can hop computers at will. I like it because it will actually run on mac and pc not either/or.

If they come through with a mac version of Vinyl Master that would be really sweet. As a mod I have access to VM for training and learning and it's a really well built program for what we do. I am still a dedicated AI guy but VM has some features that can save a lot of time and is about the best bang for the buck design and cut combination available. 

It looks like I am having the same issue as you. Mine is fresh out of the box and one of my first test cuts so I just did my name and this is what it looks like. And the font does not look like this on the computer. I’m not sure why it’s doing those weird tails off of all the points of the letters. Could the speed be to fast?

EC29718D-D9B8-45C1-BD8D-047990472726.jpeg

It could be speed, but it could also be pressure, blade depth, or blade offset. Did you try cutting the test cut using the option on the cutter? If so, keep in mind that the blade offset is controlled in the software, and will not affect a machine-based test cut. So if the test cut comes out fine, then that makes it more likely to be blade offset. If it is blade offset, the result you are getting indicates that the blade offset is set too high.

7 hours ago, Caseman315 said:

It looks like I am having the same issue as you. Mine is fresh out of the box and one of my first test cuts so I just did my name and this is what it looks like. And the font does not look like this on the computer. I’m not sure why it’s doing those weird tails off of all the points of the letters. Could the speed be to fast?

EC29718D-D9B8-45C1-BD8D-047990472726.jpeg

Just a wild guess, another scalp user? 

On 10/11/2019 at 10:35 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

Just a wild guess, another scalp user? 

Yeah, I run a Mac so thats what I picked to come with my cutter. I do have Illustrator as well. Judging by the link someone posted it looks to definitely be an off set adjustment.

Do I need to just play around to get the off set correct? Or does someone have the "magic number" I should put in?

If you are using a 45 degree blade start at .25 and work your way up and down by .02 until you get crisp corners -   seems the common thread we have seen this month with this is scalp and mac . . . .

For the life of me I can not get this to stop doing this on the corners. I’ve adjusted offset, the over cut and nothing changes.

67C667F0-DD1D-41BF-AE0E-6B12BF04860E.jpeg

Just for kicks,  try Signcut.  That way you know  whether it is Scalp.   It does import .svg files as was  already  stated above.  Export your file from SCALP as an .svg file and import into Signcut.  

On 10/07, Apple released their new version of Mac OS, Catalina, which now requires all programs to be written as 64bit applications and not have any dependencies on 32 bit libraries or resources. At the time of release, neither Sure Cuts a Lot 3 Pro nor Sure Cuts a Lot 4 Pro are 64bit applications and as a result have been rendered incompatible with the new OS. Since that point, however, Sure Cuts a Lot 4 Pro has received a 64 bit update. That said, please be aware that there might be a few hiccups using this upgraded version as the developer works to assure it is fully complaint with the new OS' standards.

Thank you for reporting this issue to us, we have noticed there may be trend with the new 64bit version of Sure Cuts A Lot 4 Pro. In our testing, the blade offset appears to be off like the image above, and changing the blade offset does not resolve the issue. We are in touch with the developer to see if this issue can be patched. In the meantime, if the the need for a software is dire, you can upgrade your copy of SCAL4Pro to SCAL5Pro for $60, as it is currently on sale. We have not encountered these issues on SCAL5Pro, and you can find a link to that upgrade here on USCutter.com. Please let us know if anyone is encountering other issues with these newly released builds, and I'll follow-up here when a new version is released.

• Like 3

You could try Inkscape if you need something in a pinch. Inkscape is not designed as a cutting program but it does offer that ability and is not terrible to use. As a hobbiest, I used it exclusively for several years for cutting.