Taylor1212

Help! Best transfer tape?

I am having issues with Oracal 651 and transfer tape. My Oracal 651 vinyl seems to be clinging to the backing and not coming with the transfer tape. I will smooth it out really well and flip it over and pull at an angle greater than 90*. I need to find something that is reliable for selling to customers that will apply there own decals. What do you guys recommend? My decals tend to be pretty detailed, if that helps. 

No mention of which tape you are using.  You should squeegee the transfer tape real well on top. But tape face down and peel the backing away from the decal. It makes a huge difference. Never lift the decal from the backing.   I only use Main Medium tack paper tape.   Many of my decals are very detailed also.  

• Like 3

I am currently using a few different versions of contact paper. I am sure that is the biggest part of the issue. I am looking into more professional options because I know these are not reliable and do leave a residue. I am just unsure of what professional transfer paper is well liked for Oracal 651. I didn't want to waste money buying material that will not work. Thank you for your suggestion! I will look it up!

• Sad 1

If your going to run a business, use the correct products or your going to lose your customers real fast.  Uscutter sells R-tape paper transfer tape. 

• Like 2

I totally agree and understand. That is exactly why I am making the switch and looking for advice from those who are more experienced. Is R-tape reliable for 651? I have been reading both good and bad reviews.

Yes, many people use R-tape.  You need to write your instructions, so people know how to apply the decals correctly.  What I wrote above, I write on my decals,  so people know how to remove the backing.   If you lift the decal off the backing, you can actually lift off the wax paper backing up with the decal. Then you will have paper stuck to your decal.   You always peel the backing away.    Others will probably give their experience with R-Tape. 

• Like 1

I found RTape AT75 Clear Choice High Tack Transfer Tape works the best for me. And high tack is what I use now.

Clear plastic tape is not a great choice for a business, or sending to buyers. Paper tape is the way to go. You cannot roll up big decals in plastic tape, they tunnel, and you cannot apply them wet with plastic tape.   Paper tape is more universal for applications. You can use it for any size decals. Wet or dry. 

• Like 3

If the backing paper is sticking to the vinyl when you pull the application tape off, you are cutting too deep. Try decreasing the cutting force...the plotter should barely scratch the backing paper. As fer as application tape, I have been using medium tack R Tape for many years and I have had great luck with it.

651 is known to be a little tricky especially with detailed work. I use 4076 R-Tape which is just a little extra tack over the 4075. 

For detailed work if you are not doing large coverage areas consider trying out 751. It weeds nicer and will transfer like a dream. 951 even better yet.