Sign in to follow this  
AGPDR

printer for vehicle wraps

I'm wanting to get into custom printed vehicle wraps for fleet and customer vehicles. I've already been doing single color wraps but want to be able to print as well. I also would like to do wall printed vinyl. What would be my best option for quality and performance. I see that uscutter sells the HP but heard good things about Roland as well. Thanks

personally I have never used the latex printers but have owned 3 roland eco solvent printers and loved them -- just keep them busy as they get expensive replacing heads if you don't print every few days - even with the self cleanings we found that a 3 week vacation almost always cost us $800+ in one new head, dampers etc - that is for the printers that use the dx4 heads - with the ones that use the bigger heads it can cost $2800+ to replace a head for missing/clogged nozzles.  if you have the volume of business to keep it running personally I would go eco solvent and laminator.  if you don't do that kind of volume I would look into teaming up with someone that already has one in your area and make sure they are doing the necessary maint to keep it printing right

I have heard the latex printers do not have the same issue with clogged nozzles but the offset is a roland solvent you can get parts for 8 years later and not be throw away in under 2 years - other thing I know is a friend that is a top wrap installer in canada last year bought his own printer and bought eco solvent after using both kinds of materials wrapping busses, subway, buildings, etc

Well I don't have enough of it to use an eco solvent then although I think I could get the work rolling in. 

just info so you are gambling with a little knowledge - We see too many that want the sexy printer without knowing what they are really getting into.  I traveled to someones shop 4 hrs away for a weekend to learn more before I bought my first one and still had little clue until I bought one.  it is nerve wracking when you are waiting for a new head or other part and hoping something else isn't clogging and drying up - a reason I always had a spare head, dampers, wipers, etc on hand and ready to put in.  then it was just the stress of doing that work and hoping you don't fry a board putting the new head in (about $2500-$4000 and yes we have seen that a few times) - usually I planned 1/2 day to replace head and calibrate to get back to production.

Only way you really learn is to jump in.  with knowledge you might be in only ankle deep - without knowledge you could be in ankle deep and head first. 

• Like 1