Caseman315

Vinyl colors

I have not ordered my vinyl cutter yet but I have some questions on vinyl colors. 
Is it worth it to get the 24“ x 10 yard 12 pack of colors? Or should I order my vinyl individually and get the more common used colors? If so which colors should I get right off the bat?

not that I wouldn’t someday need all of those colors but I’d rather not spend the money upfront if I’m never going to really use the brown and gold etc.

thank you for any input.

Colors depend on what your business is going to be or what is it leaning towards. .  Only you know that.   My biggest colors are Black, silver, white, red. 

• Like 2

buy oracal as you need - start with white, black, red and school colors is always a pretty safe bet.  starter packs you end up with colors you won't use and eats up all the savings from the "bundle"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought the starter pack like 5 years ago and I still have most of those colors left. I mostly use that vinyl for blasting and powder coating mask and use the Oracal that I bought later for any real jobs.

Later when I got into HTV I learned my lesson, I have a stock of a few colors I use often then just buy the others as needed. I do always buy extra so I have enough to do a few extra designs if I mess up, or the customer decides they want more.

• Like 3

Here's some thoughts from a fairly newby...

If this is your first cutter (assume it is by your questions) then I would not buy the bundle pack and I would not buy 24" wide either.  6" or 12" is easier to handle & store (until you get going and figure out both the cutter & your work area).  I'd go to the clearance section and buy some Greenstar or Oracal 651 in whatever color is cheapest.  Use this to get things setup and practice with and then you won't be so worried about using the good stuff.  Then after you have some experience and know what you're going to be making, then switch to 24" rolls if needed.

• Like 2

Wilson has a good suggestion.  I bought my cutter with a bundle of Greenstar, knowing that a lot of people think it's inferior.  Knowing I was never going to sell any of it to a customer gave me the freedom to make lots of mistakes and try lots of things. . .it was all going in the trash anyway.  Even used it to learn to apply larger graphics and just scraped it off when I was done.  I got a lot of practice and learned the hard way that quality vinyl is worth the money.  When I got my first rolls of 651 I couldn't believe how much better it held detail and how great it weeded. The Greenstar taught me a lot about fine tuning my cutter so it was worth every penny.

I wasted a lot of time trying to fill up the full 24" width in those first months so I didn't waste vinyl. I should have bought narrower stuff to practice on.  Now I know the cost of my time versus my vinyl and I don't worry about throwing out 6" of excess.

Oh, I found that gold is a really popular option. It seems to go with just about anything.

• Like 1

Thank you all. I ended up ordering the titan 2. I did end up ordering a few 24” rolls and a few 15” rolls of 651.
I should take your advice and maybe order some GreenStar for practice.

Once I receive my cutter I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

thanks everyone 

I bought a bundle of a bunch of 5 yard rolls of the grecnstar. That was in 2010 and I still have most of those colors. I HAVE found that the grecnstar has it's place in the world. I use it for short term work and also it's extra thickness works great as sandblast resist on glass blasting and it comes back off easier than the higher grades. I bought a 48" wide roll of white thinking I would cover plywood signboard which I never even tried because 48" wide anything is murderous to install so I cut it down and have used it for other things. I even covered some kitchen cabinet shelves about 7 years back and it's still in there holding up well. Tough stuff, I never had too much trouble weeding it as long as the work was not detailed,