Sign in to follow this  
Drolla

New to the forum and new to cutting

Drolla, jump right in !!!

The best advice I can offer is to arrange your work area intelligently, with a decent-sized table with cutting mat (I use a 4'x8' myself) and a good app-tape dispenser affixed onto the edge of that table.

Also, convert a hand carry-all like this one to hold all your essential tools  (knives, tape measure, 12" ruler, weeding picks, etc.)

fe10f96c-d9c2-40de-a80d-856945c34341_1.6

On 9/28/2019 at 12:16 PM, slice&dice said:

Drolla, jump right in !!!

The best advice I can offer is to arrange your work area intelligently, with a decent-sized table with cutting mat (I use a 4'x8' myself) and a good app-tape dispenser affixed onto the edge of that table.

Also, convert a hand carry-all like this one to hold all your essential tools  (knives, tape measure, 12" ruler, weeding picks, etc.)

fe10f96c-d9c2-40de-a80d-856945c34341_1.6

Thanks Brother!!

We should sooo make a sticky of stuff have ... self healing mat, rotary cutter, app fluid, squeegees, straight edges (preferable one that protects  your fingers), scissors, something to use for weeding (sharp tweezers, dental pick, x-acto, etc.), app tape of choice (although paper tape is far more versatile), ....

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff ;)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, haumana said:

We should sooo make a sticky thread here of stuff we use daily ... self healing mat, rotary cutter, app fluid, squeegees, straight edges (preferable one that protects  your fingers), scissors, something to use for weeding (sharp tweezers, dental pick, x-acto, etc.), app tape of choice (although paper tape is far more versatile), ....

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff ;)

https://www.uscutter.com/Tools-Software

That just about covers it.

By the way, ON SALE now, the amazing Yellowtools carry-all.

Dakota, for the average cutter hobbyist, it's overkill. However, as a sign man, I've found it to be practical and necessary for remote installs, containing all sorts of items that may be needed in the field. Like my Makita power drill, a small container of Goo-Gone, plastic pink Chizler, a  razor scrape tool, a bottle of WhiteOut, plus an essential -- a pair of 'cheaters' (reading glasses).

OK, why the WhiteOut? When I put up a maxmetal sign, I like to use the correction fluid on exposed screw heads. (OCD? Yep)

• Like 2

Slice - I discovered yellotools at a NBM trade show years ago and I liked their products and have a few - just didn't know anyone yet that had the yellotools bag - it all started for me at that show with their roll clips and a slice tool for cutting the backing on decals and laminate without hurting the main product.  good stuff

By the way, it's actually yellotools, not 'yellow' ----  my bad.

(USCUTTER calls these roll clips 'speedclips')
https://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-Speedclip-Vinyl-Roll-Clip

SpeedClip-Clip-Vinyl-:__:1473_7.jpg

Oh boy, this "welcome" thread has certainly moved into the realm of "What's a Newbie Need to Know?" !!!

I just use one of the bucket buddy carriers that you strap onto a 5 gal sized bucket. I use mine on a smaller (shorter) bucket because the depth is overkill on a 5 gallon. Has lots of pockets for misc all the way around and large enough for all the heavy goods inside like cleaning solutions and roll of paper towels. I do like the look if that carrier and may look around for one if I decide to make a change. I don't get out much with signage anymore so mine sits in the closet most of the time. 

• Like 2

Wildgoose, yeah, I tried to use a HomeDepot bucket holster, but the handle (bail) center-of-gravity pivot was awkward, because a heavier thing (specifically my Makita drill) on one side would cause the bucket to tilt while carrying.

overstuffed-bucket-tools.jpg

• Haha 1

I guess if you put THAT much stuff in there it's not going to handle it. :laugh:

Just catching up on forum(Taking care of wife after hip replacement) Welcome to one of, if not THE best place to get great info and assistance. Can't count the times that these folks have helped me ……………….Thanks again to everyone !!

• Like 1