Sign in to follow this  
melissa826

SC2 Bunching vinyl Help!

I have an SC2 that is a few months old.  I think I've worked out most of the issues I've been having, but now I'm trying to run a roll of 15" Siser Easy Weed through it and it is just bunching.  I've positioned a roller on each end about 1/2" or 1" in. and a roller in the middle.  Why would it keep bunching, and what can I do to stop it?

Get rid of the roller in the middle. Shove it off to the side out of the way.  You don't need it.  You don't need 3 pinch rollers on a 15" width vinyl.    I have a 30" Graphtec and it only has 2 pinch rollers.  

2 biggest issues we have seen with that is not having one of the pinch rollers over a knurled roller causes that and too much blade exposure causing drag - - -  first one being the most prevalent 

• Like 1

Here's what I do and it's worked pretty good so far.  Pic is 15" Easyweed Stretch loaded with the edge of vinyl about even with the blade with the carriage all the way to right side.  Three rollers spaced evenly.  The two on the outside are positioned so that the edge of the plastic that holds the wheel is about 1/8" - 1/4" inside from the edge of the vinyl.  I then set my origin about 1" in from side and at least that from the leading edge.  Also when I'm loading I try to make sure the vinyl is "tight" left to right when I put the rollers down. Since the Stretch has such a flimsey carrier I don't want to induce any wrinkles.  I also try not to cut any long, straight cuts within a couple inches of the edge.

As a side note that might help others... that piece of green tape on the left marks the gap between the grit rollers so it's easy to not put the pinch roller there.

20190926_180409.jpg

• Like 1

I cut a lot of easy weed. The biggest thing I notice is that since the carrier sheet is soft and pliable it can lead to the problem you are experiencing if you don't have a nice sharp blade. Too much pressure can cause it to bunch up. This is a good example of where the CleanCut blades pay off. They need at least 25% less force when cutting. A lot of higher end machines have a row of holes along the edge of the cutting strip and have a vacuum fan running to help hold everything down wile cutting. The budget models usually don't have vacuum hold down and this also contributed to the problem.

I recommend burning a little extra when starting as well if you are having this problem. Sometimes it isn't as bad once you are into the roll a couple inches. Expensive stuff to waste though. 

• Like 1