Dakotagrafx

new prismcut plotter announced by uscutter

couple of questions for the group
is the name too close and will cause confusion with SW PrismJet Printers?  my first thought is that will cause more people to look up prism anything and might drive sales of SW cheap printers . . . . 

What is your thoughts on this price for a stepper motor cutter - will the wifi drive the sales for that price?   Do you think the WIFI will be stable?  if so I think the idea of a wifi plotter would be good - 

thoughts, etc????

https://www.uscutter.com/P28-PrismCut-Vinyl-Cutter-with-WiFi-Design-Cut-Software

Price is in line with other "precision" Stepper cutters like the Graphtec CE Lite-50 20" cutter. The new Silhouette Came 4 20" that is coming in Jan. Thinking that the WIFI option would be good, but I would be leary of using it until Sure it was rock solid sstable.

Not sure what we will be getting to back up our Titan 2 when the work load gets heavy cutting HTV, but know we need to add a second cutter, but do not have the room for another Titan 2 and the Table top Titan 3 limits us 15" rolls.... So will be watching closely to see what way we should go

• Like 1

It also does some engraving, so that might be a plus to do light engraving on trophy plates or dog tags... not sure on that tho, would need to see how well it does.

I have to laugh tho it has MOOD lighting leds....

• Confused 1

Just now, Dakotagrafx said:

do you think the name will cause confusion with the prismjets?

I think there might some confusion for people if they google and get the other company's website. I had to look twice to see why they were emailing us with a new cutter offer...

• Like 1

I like the idea of etching and scoring, but I wonder how much toll it will take on the machine because the amount of force required.

Since it isn't a flatbed, how does one scroll the dog tags for the proper etching? and what happens to the shavings? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2019 at 10:01 PM, haumana said:

I like the idea of etching and scoring, but I wonder how much toll it will take on the machine because the amount of force required.

Since it isn't a flatbed, how does one scroll the dog tags for the proper etching? and what happens to the shavings? Inquiring minds want to know.

Since it is not a flatbed cutter, that does present a challenge for etching, but the PrismCut is definitely capable of etching. Every PrismCut comes with a carrier sheet (aka cutting mat) that you can fix materials to when feeding them through the cutter. The adhesive on the carrier sheet alone likely won't be strong enough to hold something you may want to etch, but if you tape the item to the mat, you can be sure that the mat will hold the item securely enough to finish etching successfully and accurately.

As for the shavings, they should just fall onto and stick on the carrier sheet for collection, or at worse, fall off of the cutter onto the table or floor.

I hope that helps! Let me know if your inquiring minds have any other questions for me.

1 hour ago, David@USCutter said:

Since it is not a flatbed cutter, that does present a challenge for etching, but the PrismCut is definitely capable of etching. Every PrismCut comes with a carrier sheet (aka cutting mat) that you can fix materials to when feeding them through the cutter. The adhesive on the carrier sheet alone likely won't be strong enough to hold something you may want to etch, but if you tape the item to the mat, you can be sure that the mat will hold the item securely enough to finish etching successfully and accurately.

As for the shavings, they should just fall onto and stick on the carrier sheet for collection, or at worse, fall off of the cutter onto the table or floor.

I hope that helps! Let me know if your inquiring minds have any other questions for me.

what is the thickest material that can be etched?   Have YOU done a lot of testing with this plotter personally?  If so is has the wifi proven extremely stable over a long time?  I ask because I am sure you had a pre production sample to be testing for some time

21 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

what is the thickest material that can be etched?   Have YOU done a lot of testing with this plotter personally?  If so is has the wifi proven extremely stable over a long time?  I ask because I am sure you had a pre production sample to be testing for some time

We have been doing a lot of testing with the PrismCut and getting used to how it works, but we have only recently got our hands on the etching tool. Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to provide more specifics on the materials and settings we recommend for use with the etching tool, but we are looking forward to releasing more details after further testing.

As for the WiFi connectivity, I have experimented with that to see if I could find some limitations, and I found it to be stable and reliable in my testing.  When setting up the PrismCut for WiFi, you connect it to your router as you would a phone or other internet enabled device, by selecting the network SSID and entering the password for your network. Once the PrismCut and your computer are on the same network, it should be as simple as setting it up in VinylMaster with the PrismCut's IP address, and as long as the PrismCut or the computer doesn't leave the range of the router, it doesn't seem like there should be an issue.

There was one WiFi quirk we did encounter during our testing, though. We were sending jobs over the network, and suddenly, the PrismCut wasn't responding anymore. After we changed the IP address on the cutter and updated it in VinylMaster, it started working again, and we had a little mystery on our hands. That is, until one of our sales guys from the other end of building walked in on our meeting and asked what we were sending to the PrismCut that he had just hooked up on his desk. Every PrismCut comes with the same default, static IP address, and it turns out that he connected it to the network using that address, and it was poaching our jobs, because we were still using the default as well. Lesson learned, if you plan to have multiple PrismCuts on your network, make sure to change the static IPs to avoid wasting vinyl.

• Like 1

good to hear - years ago several of us experimented with "print routers" and had issues with dropped packets and spotty results - things have came a long ways and I am sure that will be a big draw for that unit so best that it works almost flawlessly or it will get hammered on introduction.   Kind of like the demise of the zencuts - some lessons were learned and the titans had a better introduction and acceptance.   BannerJohn and I purchased titan2's and did a bit of early testing so we could answer questions.   

I wonder what the limitations are for the etching part - size of the media, size of the carrier sheet, type of media, etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, haumana said:

I wonder what the limitations are for the etching part - size of the media, size of the carrier sheet, type of media, etc.

good question

3 hours ago, haumana said:

The PrismCut is packaged with a 15" x 15" carrier sheet, but we sell larger carrier sheets that will work with the PrismCut if you need more room to work with. There aren't any hard limitations coded into the PrismCut that would prevent you from etching something anywhere the blade can reach, but practicality may be more of a factor here than it would be with Oracal 651. I expect that we will have more information about etching soon.

• Like 3

But you don't state, what software, computer.? How is it connected?  How did you set your blade depth?   Have you ever ran a vinyl cutter before?  No mention of your settings. No mention of what you have done to try and fix the problem.  You have to provide info to work with.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gailherran said:

I'm having issues with it.  My file and then the vinyl cut.  I am at my wits end and wish I never bought it.

75114879_412665362730765_738320653597278208_n.jpg

75264978_756286868127755_1648237676010143744_n.jpg

sure looks like an offset issue - what is your offset set at and since this is a new plotter is it set on the plotter or in the software or like a graphtec can be either way?

I tried both ways.  On the cutter and in the software.  

15 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

But you don't state, what software, computer.? How is it connected?  How did you set your blade depth?   Have you ever ran a vinyl cutter before?  No mention of your settings. No mention of what you have done to try and fix the problem.  You have to provide info to work with.   

SCAL4 Pro, MAC, WIFI, 1/2 the width of a credit card.  The depth is fine.  I have been using cutter since 2006.  I have a Titan3 and have an MH721.  I use to have a Roland-BN20 so I am well versed at cutting and software and computers.  I have tried to set the blade offset lower and higher.  On the machine and in the software.  Hope this helps you help me.  :)

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 9.31.13 AM.png

15 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

sure looks like an offset issue - what is your offset set at and since this is a new plotter is it set on the plotter or in the software or like a graphtec can be either way?

I tried on both.  In all my years of cutting, I have never had any issues with my Titan or MH721 when it came to offset.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 9.31.13 AM.png

1 minute ago, gailherran said:

I tried both ways.  On the cutter and in the software.  

SCAL4 Pro, MAC, WIFI, 1/2 the width of a credit card.  The depth is fine.

No, the depth is NOT fine. 1/2 credit card is about 10x to much blade exposure. Follow Mz. Skeeter's instructions for setting blade depth. You only need about 0.003" of an inch of blade exposed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

No, the depth is NOT fine. 1/2 credit card is about 10x to much blade exposure. Follow Mz. Skeeter's instructions for setting blade depth. You only need about 0.003" of an inch of blade exposed. 

I re-adjusted the blade.  And have re-adjusted again and still an issue.  

I just found this in another thread.  US Cutter knows it is an issue and wants to charge people $60 to upgrade to SCAL5.  Does the PrisumCut machine even support SCAL5?  However, I am on Mojave not Catalina.

On 10/07, Apple released their new version of Mac OS, Catalina, which now requires all programs to be written as 64bit applications and not have any dependencies on 32 bit libraries or resources. At the time of release, neither Sure Cuts a Lot 3 Pro nor Sure Cuts a Lot 4 Pro are 64bit applications and as a result have been rendered incompatible with the new OS. Since that point, however, Sure Cuts a Lot 4 Pro has received a 64 bit update. That said, please be aware that there might be a few hiccups using this upgraded version as the developer works to assure it is fully complaint with the new OS' standards.

Thank you for reporting this issue to us, we have noticed there may be trend with the new 64bit version of Sure Cuts A Lot 4 Pro. In our testing, the blade offset appears to be off like the image above, and changing the blade offset does not resolve the issue. We are in touch with the developer to see if this issue can be patched. In the meantime, if the the need for a software is dire, you can upgrade your copy of SCAL4Pro to SCAL5Pro for $60, as it is currently on sale. We have not encountered these issues on SCAL5Pro, and you can find a link to that upgrade here on USCutter.com. Please let us know if anyone is encountering other issues with these newly released builds, and I'll follow-up here when a new version is released.

did you do the suggested scal 4 update that was linked?  that was supposed to fix this issue.   Prismcut is a very very new plotter with very few users so we don't have a lot of data to go on and rely on david to give us information 

4 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

did you do the suggested scal 4 update that was linked?  that was supposed to fix this issue.   Prismcut is a very very new plotter with very few users so we don't have a lot of data to go on and rely on david to give us information 

Maybe it's me,  But it says the Token is expired for that fix link for the update.

• Sad 1