Johnny83

Graphtec Studio (mac os x) Print & Cut Problem

1 hour ago, haumana said:

I might be one of the very few who has both a Graphtec and Graphtec Studio.

Hence, the file request. But if you'd rather just tell me what you issue is, without me being able to recreate it on my side, then I cannot help you.

Send the file or not, but I'm just going to say, that most times, sending the file helps us volunteers to troubleshoot a lot faster and more thoroughly.

What is your email? I can send you the gstudio file or export it as a pdf and send it to you as well. 

1 hour ago, Johnny83 said:

I do two passes and I’m cutting through laminated Calendared vinyl. Vinyl is 11mil and laminate it 3 mil. 2 contour cuts and they pop out nice and clean. Sometimes you have to play with pressure to fine tune it. 

Mz Skeeter is asking because while what you are doing may be working for you, it is not the intended use of the cutter and will ruin the cutting strip making future cuts not as clean. 

Have you tried a different program for printing? From this statement, 

I can even zoom in on my canvas before I print it, and it looks perfect. If I goto Print I have an option of previewing it before print. If I do that and zoom in, I can now see the bad areas which would end up printing poorly.

it sounds to me like it is a software problem and you may not be able to use Graphtec Studio to print with your printer. What printer are you using?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Mz Skeeter is asking because while what you are doing may be working for you, it is not the intended use of the cutter and will ruin the cutting strip making future cuts not as clean. 

Have you tried a different program for printing? From this statement, 

it sounds to me like it is a software problem and you may not be able to use Graphtec Studio to print with your printer. What printer are you using?

I’m using an image prograf 670 

On 9/16/2019 at 10:07 AM, Johnny83 said:

What is your email? I can send you the gstudio file or export it as a pdf and send it to you as well. 

typically people just post the file to the forum thread, so that many volunteers can take a stab at problem solving it.

if you feel more comfortable just sending it to me, that works too - just click on my profile name, then click Message. you can attach files and shot me a message at the same time. no one else will see the communication or attachment.

Sorry for the delay!  Still encountering this problem.  if someone can help me solve this, i will gladly pay them!

Print and cut from graphtec studio (mac).  design screen shows perfectly fine.  when i get to the page where i send it to print, i can "preview it in viewer" on my mac without printing it yet.  when i do that, and view it at actual size, i can see the errors.  the errors are occurring when it processes the page right before the print options window appears. 

i tried adjusting margins, layout of the images across the page, leaving more empty space at the top and bottom seemed to help, but not much.  same thing with the left and right sides as well.  here is a screen shot of what its doing to the image.  I'm putting one image, about 40-50 times on a 24" x 30" page.  

I attached the .gstudio file I'm using.  It seems the wherever the errors are, they run either straight across the whole print, or straight up the print. sometimes both.  it looks like the image shifts to the left and mis-aligns itself slightly.  

when i bring the image into graphtec studio, its brought in at 300dpi, one image.  i then set the contour lines and duplicate the image to fill the page. then i add my reg marks.  

the images are almost always .png format with no background.   hope this info can help someone help me figure this out!  thanks in advance!!!!

angelothekid_sticker.gstudio

The file wouldn't open up for me on my Mac, I probably need to update the studio software. I will try and get to that as soon as I can.

20 hours ago, haumana said:

The file wouldn't open up for me on my Mac, I probably need to update the studio software. I will try and get to that as soon as I can.

thanks.  UPDATE:  if i reduce the size to 24x20.5 and set the non printable area to -.30" at all sides (within the page setup screen), it will not have shifts in the print.  not sure how i can correct this so i can print any size. I would prefer to print a longer area at a time but this is the work around for the time being.  I'm assuming this is a problem within graphtec studio software (for mac osx).  I just wish I could figure this becoming a thorn in my butt. 

What's the firmware version of the machine, the software version of the GStudio that you're using, and OSX version?

This is the not the same file that you originally posted about, so I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for, but the file looks fine to me.

What issues are you running into?

On 10/19/2019 at 1:59 AM, haumana said:

This is the not the same file that you originally posted about, so I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for, but the file looks fine to me.

OS X 10.13.6 high sierra, graphtec studio version 2.2.1267gs.  if opened in graphtec studio it will look fine.  my problem is when it is processing the image for print.  if i goto file and print, with my page setup set to 0 margin, instead of printing, i can preview it in viewer on my mac.  if i do that, and view the preview in actual size, you can see shifts in the pixels across certain areas of the page.  almost as if that line across the page shifted to the left or up/down.  try opening it in viewer and seeing if you an see the slight shifts.  it prints this way, but i can see if it will happen in viewer saving me time and material.  still have not figured this out.  possibly has something to do aliasing? or how its setup on the page, resampling when the software is re-scaling? I'm lost !!

On 10/19/2019 at 1:59 AM, haumana said:

if i set the print margin to -.3" on all sides and print on nothing bigger than a 24" wide by 20" tall area, it doesn't affect the print when it processes it.  anything larger it will give me the issues in what looks to me like pixels shifting slightly. keeping the page size smaller and using the margin settings it will print fine. but i need to be able to print longer prints.  seems like a flaw in graphtec studio to me.  in design window it will look perfect no matter how much you zoom it, but when the software processes it for print is when the error occurs. I've reached out to graphtec america via phone and email multiple times and have not gotten a response from them other than to use ilustrator with the cutting master plugin.  I'm not familiar with illustrator at all, and when i tried watching tutorials for print and cut things were not working as they did for the person in the video.  Aside from that, for what these machines cost i shouldn't be dealing with these issues with they're actual software.  they seem to be blowing off mac users with problems.  

So the issue you're running into is the printing, not the cutting? Just trying to clarification.

12 minutes ago, haumana said:

So the issue you're running into is the printing, not the cutting? Just trying to clarification.

correct.  I've confirmed the issue occurs when graphtec studio is processing the image for print. its not a printer problem. only thing affecting it that ive noticed is the margin distance and the actual size of the print. 

have you tried doing your image in vector format, then doing the layout? It couldn't hurt to try.

Can you post a picture of the shifted printing? Not a screen shot, but the actual shifted printing.

1 hour ago, haumana said:

have you tried doing your image in vector format, then doing the layout? It couldn't hurt to try.

Can you post a picture of the shifted printing? Not a screen shot, but the actual shifted printing.

i don't believe this supports any file formats for import other than gstudio, jpg, png, tiff and bmp. 

if you look at the attached file, look at the "e" in angelo.  the left side of the letter has that shift.  usually runs all the way up the whole page at the area.angelothekid_sticker.gstudio

21 minutes ago, Johnny83 said:

i don't believe this supports any file formats for import other than gstudio, jpg, png, tiff and bmp. 

if you look at the attached file, look at the "e" in angelo.  the left side of the letter has that shift.  usually runs all the way up the whole page at the area.angelothekid_sticker.gstudio

When you use Open,  look at the drop down box at  (FILES OF TYPE) the bottom of the box that opens.  It opens all kinds of files, including .eps   I just opened an .eps from my computer. 

51 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

When you use Open,  look at the drop down box at  (FILES OF TYPE) the bottom of the box that opens.  It opens all kinds of files, including .eps   I just opened an .eps from my computer. 

do you have studio or studio pro skeeter - I have pro and no problem but don't have the hobby version of studio.  heck with pro I couldn't even open the .gstudio file

1 hour ago, Johnny83 said:

If the issue with the printing, then we really need to see the error on the printing, not the file.

I've opened up your file, several times, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, but then again, you have one graphic that has been tiled 52 times on a sheet, so I'm not about to take a magnifying look at all 52, looking at the "e" that I do not know what is wrong with it.

GS will allow you to drag and drop .eps vector files directly into the workspace. Try vectoring the single graphic, then dropping it into the workspace, tile it, then see if the print shifting looks like it's going to happen.

It sounds like you have actually printed it, so take a picture of that, circle the error - either physically, or on PS, and then post it for everyone to actually see.

98% or more of the volunteers on this forum are running on PC, those few of us who are running on Mac and have a Graphtec are even fewer than 2%.

Anyway, for anyone else willing to take a look at it, I've .pdf'd the file. Maybe y'all can see what I'm not.

angelothekid_sticker.pdf

23 hours ago, haumana said:

I converted the single image file to .eps and tried it again with no success.  I'm just going to have to print smaller lengths and toy with margins to make it work for now until i can get software that can handle larger prints. 

do you have other software that you can do the layout in? and have you tried that?