Johnny83

Graphtec Studio (mac os x) Print & Cut Problem

First off I would like to say thanks for any help!  I am new to this forum and have been experiencing issues with my workflow with print and cut. 

So here is the run down...  I am using mac osx with graphtec studio software.  I'm printing large format (for stickers), and perf cutting them with my graphtec ce6000-60 plus. 

I do all my design work in a separate program.  images and imported in a .png format.  I use the graphtec studio software to add my cut line, then print from the same program.  

Works great, aside from the print.  Ive been noticing when printing, the column to the right and the row at the bottom have inaccurate print alignments.  Ive attached an image 

where you can see the letters in the logo are not lined up, as if it just shifted.  To troubleshoot, I saved the file as a pdf, then opened it in viewer and blew it up to actual size.

you can see the error in the image itself.  I was able to rule out the printer or print head alignment issues.  Is there anyone else who has experienced this type of thing with 

print and cut, and what were your resolutions, if any?  If you look at the letter T and the letter H, you can clearly see the shift in the design.  I've tried everything i could think of.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 7.40.46 PM.png

wish I could help but not a mac user - had 3 print and cut machines and always used my RIP program to print and cut from - never tried it in Graphtec software as it does not have a RIP feature

I’m looking into some options. I know for sure the problem is in the graphtec studio software. I just don’t have any other way to print and cut aside from this. Ai is now a watered down web based monthly and the plugins won’t work with it from what I hear. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny83 said:

I’m looking into some options. I know for sure the problem is in the graphtec studio software. I just don’t have any other way to print and cut aside from this. Ai is now a watered down web based monthly and the plugins won’t work with it from what I hear. 

if using a wide format printer you should be using a RIP software - rolands come with versaworks, Mimaki uses rasterlink. I believe most places that sell Mutoh provide or sell Wasatch  - - if you are using solvent, latex or thermo transfer printer for decals it should have came with a RIP software

I’m not using a solvent or latex printer for these specific prints. I’m using canon image prograf. My printer is separate from the cutter. No rip came with it aside from Sai Cloud but From my understanding that is only for exporting cut jobs. I need to be able to setup my cut lines on the image and print with registration, then cut on my graphtec ce6000 plus. 

Anything past 8.5 version is not Mac compatible anyway.     SAI Cloud is for Windows.  Unless you run as Windows on a Mac. 

So what program are you designing in? Is there a glitch in the import of the raster image that is causing the character shift, is that happening on it's way into G Studio? Is there a reason why you can't import a vector image? Was it EVER a vector image? Was the font embedded or is that an option from the design program? No answers but maybe some things to consider. 

I am a mac user but do not print and do not run a Graphtec. There aren't a lot of us mac users out there. I run Illustrator CS5 on my iMac with 10.13 without too much trouble. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

So what program are you designing in? Is there a glitch in the import of the raster image that is causing the character shift, is that happening on it's way into G Studio? Is there a reason why you can't import a vector image? Was it EVER a vector image? Was the font embedded or is that an option from the design program? No answers but maybe some things to consider. 

I am a mac user but do not print and do not run a Graphtec. There aren't a lot of us mac users out there. I run Illustrator CS5 on my iMac with 10.13 without too much trouble. 

I’m using Pixelmator to remove backgrounds, add strokes, and export as png. I’ve tried also jpg. I’m using graphtec studio for Mac and importing my image. A big problem is you can not import anything unless it’s a jpg or png aside from the .gstudio files. So an svg file etc won’t work. It seems like it only happens when I use a lot of area on my canvas. I print on 24” rolls of media. I keep reg marks around .5” away from the job and allows for 2” or more for the pinch rollers when I run it through for perf cuts. 

I left more space open at the bottom side and it seemed to eliminate the bad print on the bottom row, but not the far right side column. I’ve tried changing DPI, sizing and even file types. 

I import one image, trace it to get my perf cut line, than group the cut line to the image. Then I use duplicate to fill the page. I usually print 24” x 30” at a time. I’ve noticed printing smaller amounts in the same space may prevent the issue on some occasions.  

I can even zoom in on my canvas before I print it, and it looks perfect. If I goto Print I have an option of previewing it before print. If I do that and zoom in, I can now see the bad areas which would end up printing poorly. 

I have no idea how to correct this and using less real estate on my rolls of material isn’t cost effective when I’m only printing on 24” rolls. 

31 minutes ago, haumana said:

Are you willing to post the file?

The file isnt the problem. My problem is within graphtec studio either when the images get duplicated to fill the page, or when it sends the image for print. I’m trying to figure out a workaround but I’m at a loss now. Ive tried all sorts of things and wasted a ton of ink and material.  Need a solution at this point or else I’m going to have to spend a ton on new software and RIP. 

I don't know anything about Graphtec Studio but according to their web page it can import EPS. No mention of what version it is that does that, but I would think even the lowest version should be able to open/import an eps file.

15 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

I don't know anything about Graphtec Studio but according to their web page it can import EPS. No mention of what version it is that does that, but I would think even the lowest version should be able to open/import an eps file.

On windows version yes, I’m on a Mac so I cannot. 

Graphtec Studio for a Mac. can open .eps files.     (Not talking about Pro version)   From this page

https://www.graphtecamerica.com/cp-softwares        GS software. 

Just go to File>Open>  At the bottom of the box  (dropdown box)  change it encapsulated post script.  .eps....  bring in your file from wherever it is located. 

19 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Graphtec Studio for a Mac. can open .eps files.     (Not talking about Pro version)   From this page

https://www.graphtecamerica.com/cp-softwares        GS software. 

Just go to File>Open>  At the bottom of the box  (dropdown box)  change it encapsulated post script.  .eps....  bring in your file from wherever it is located. 

Isn’t EPS an adobe illustrator file? Or is it a universal vector file? I don’t have Ai. And I don’t thunk a vector file is required for print and cut. I’m printing the same image fifty times or so on a 24” wide media roll. It is normally around 30” in length. The bottom row, and far right column seem to be the only areas where I have bad image print. 

13 minutes ago, Johnny83 said:

Isn’t EPS an adobe illustrator file? Or is it a universal vector file? I don’t have Ai. And I don’t thunk a vector file is required for print and cut. I’m printing the same image fifty times or so on a 24” wide media roll. It is normally around 30” in length. The bottom row, and far right column seem to be the only areas where I have bad image print. 

.ai is the illustrator file - .eps is used by most vector programs - you can print the raster file but as you know you need a vector contour line around it to cut.   -  I do not know much about using an aqueous printer and contour cutting but should be the same as using a solvent or latex without the final product being durable - I am sure you have a special use and not just making decals for outdoor use like most of us on here that have/had printers do.  again I always used the RIP for my solvent printers (originally used flexi pro before transitioning to the much easier to use versaworks (that will not work with your canon) - - - Personally I drove 4 hrs away and took the time to learn from someone with a solvent printer before purchasing mine and then attended several trade shows

• Like 1

EPS was created by Adobe and is proprietary but publicly documented format. Meaning any one can make use of it and virtually every vector program does.

• Like 2

Also, are you using a carrier sheet to contour cut on?  If not, how are you perf cutting without ruining your cutting strip?   I know it can be done on the FC units, because I have them. It has the 2nd hole in the carriage head and groove below.     The American CE6000,  does not have that.   Is your cutter from Graphtec America? 

I might be one of the very few who has both a Graphtec and Graphtec Studio.

Hence, the file request. But if you'd rather just tell me what you issue is, without me being able to recreate it on my side, then I cannot help you.

Send the file or not, but I'm just going to say, that most times, sending the file helps us volunteers to troubleshoot a lot faster and more thoroughly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Also, are you using a carrier sheet to contour cut on?  If not, how are you perf cutting without ruining your cutting strip?   I know it can be done on the FC units, because I have them. It has the 2nd hole in the carriage head and groove below.     The American CE6000,  does not have that.   Is your cutter from Graphtec America? 

I do two passes and I’m cutting through laminated Calendared vinyl. Vinyl is 11mil and laminate it 3 mil. 2 contour cuts and they pop out nice and clean. Sometimes you have to play with pressure to fine tune it.