Dakotagrafx

if you like pinstriping and gold leaf . . . ..

totally off subject but Nub grafix has a show on facebook every tuesday at 9pm est (with lots of past shows available to watch) with pinstriping techniques along with gold leaving, air brushing - lots of interesting stuff to watch.  he answers questions during the live feeds - just please do not embarrass yourself - he no longer works with the Tuetuls nor OCC - he is the real deal and shows techniques, answers questions about brushes and paints, marbleizing while he is striping and or leafing etc.   I personally have always been fascinated by a good pinstriper and old sign making with paint and brush

https://www.facebook.com/nubgrafix/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

• Like 1

I would never even attempt this kind of stuff, but I love watching it!  My great uncle was a sign painter in Iowa....barns, berma-shave, store windows, fire trucks, you name it. A canvas bag of paints and a leather roll of brushes.  As a kid I was mesmerized by the stuff he could do by hand. Heck, I still am!

• Like 1

I watch every week, love the striping and I have used my plotter to do a mask to sandblast the back of mirrors and then paint part and gold leaf part.  Last week nub said he liked the one I did for my daughters wedding

• Like 1

Here's an old Indy Car from the 70's that my uncle and cousin painted and stripped, and another from 1980. That's my Uncle on the far right & his son in the cowboy hat. I used to love watching them paint and the smell of turps and paint, oh..and a few beers and shots were consumed while doing so. My cousin is still doing it at the ripe young age of 76. And all was done freehand, no masking tapes involved

13301240_10153819151703740_5705402047737528524_o.jpg

81 indycar.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mfatty500 said:

Here's an old Indy Car from the 70's that my uncle and cousin painted and stripped, and another from 1980. That's my Uncle on the far right & his son in the cowboy hat. I used to love watching them paint and the smell of turps and paint, oh..and a few beers and shots were consumed while doing so. My cousin is still doing it at the ripe young age of 76. And all was done freehand, no masking tapes involved

13301240_10153819151703740_5705402047737528524_o.jpg

81 indycar.jpg

love it - there aren't enough new people doing the old school skilled work

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, haumana said:

love looking at pre-vinyl days :D

You could pin stripe or add gold leaf to outriggers . . . .hmmmmm

20 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

You could pin stripe or add gold leaf to outriggers . . . .hmmmmm

thankfully, no canoe club has done that here ... and hopefully won't. :lol:

• Haha 2