gsRt5

Hello from tx

New here, just received my start up package yesterday and will be using the forum a lot for help and info. Ran into an issue already!

anyone else get their cutter with no software? I will be contacting as soon as they open but i triple checked everything for a key. Was really looking forward to getting started this weekend :-/ 

34 minutes ago, Scratchthejeepguy said:

Welcome to the forum!  What cutter did you get?

Sc2

You can immediately get that cutter to run using SignBlazerElements (LiYu is the model to select).

I seem to recall the VinylMaster is a download, and the activation code appears on a card within the parts box.

5 hours ago, gsRt5 said:

New here, just received my start up package yesterday and will be using the forum a lot for help and info. Ran into an issue already!

anyone else get their cutter with no software? I will be contacting as soon as they open but i triple checked everything for a key. Was really looking forward to getting started this weekend :-/ 

usually the key is sent by email with the download link sometime after your order

32 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

usually the key is sent by email with the download link sometime after your order

Really? I hope so

1 hour ago, slice&dice said:

You can immediately get that cutter to run using SignBlazerElements (LiYu is the model to select).

I seem to recall the VinylMaster is a download, and the activation code appears on a card within the parts box.

Was going to look into another program, Mac compatible would be awesome. Son hates that i have to use his gaming pc 

and yeah, nothing in the box beside the stand and cutter.

check your email confirmation.   Also Signblazer is Windows only,   It has not been updated for many years, but still usable.  Many people, like myself, just use an old XP computer. You can pick up cheap.  You don't need a fancy computer for a vinyl cutter.   XP is still very stable. 

1 hour ago, gsRt5 said:

Was going to look into another program, Mac compatible would be awesome. Son hates that i have to use his gaming pc 

they don't open the boxes to put things in like software - it is all download now and they can email the codes when you purchase depending on which software you chose when you purchased it so no mix ups in the box.

Scalp is the only software USC offers for mac - I dislike scalp so like skeeter I use a older cheap computer for running the cutter from - I usually design on once computer then export the file as a .eps and take it to the cutter computer that is in the basement

• Like 1

If you must stay on a Mac, you could give Inkscape a try. It's a great free design program and has some rudimentary cutting capabilities.

Wow I’m such a moron

The wife found it in between 2 boxes. The cutter was in a brown box then placed in a white uscutter box. I thought this morning to look for an invoice thats usually taped to the side of the box but nothing. She gets home from works and finds it by taking the brown one out.

she hasnt stopped rubbing it in either.

eitherway, thanks for the suggestions and for trying to help. 

• Like 3

Congratulations. You should be on-track to get your machine cutting now with the VinylMaster program, which is quite nice.

By the way, SBE has a detailed LIBRARY (Draw menu) of ready-to-cut graphics, it's worth having it installed just for those items.

Animals & fish, shapes, religious symbols, zodiac, shields, road signs, arrows & ampersands, etc etc.

23 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Congratulations. You should be on-track to get your machine cutting now with the VinylMaster program, which is quite nice.

By the way, SBE has a detailed LIBRARY (Draw menu) of ready-to-cut graphics, it's worth having it installed just for those items.

Animals & fish, shapes, religious symbols, zodiac, shields, road signs, arrows & ampersands, etc etc.

SBE?

SBE = Sign Blazer Elements - it was the basic version of Signblazer when it development stopped after the owner died unexpectedly around 8 years ago

if you found the disk and code for Vinylmaster you now have current updated software that is still being updated regularly - Just sayin

On 8/30/2019 at 5:40 AM, gsRt5 said:

Just curious - Why didn't you just order it with SCALP in the first place?

1 hour ago, haumana said:

Just curious - Why didn't you just order it with SCALP in the first place?

Im new to all of this. Just ordered a starter package off the page. 

I also have the SC2 and am using VM with no complaints.  I may have to download SBE just for those graphics though.  Now that you have the license key, you should be up and running in no time.  I had zero problems getting up and running with my SC2.

although I thought they offered a starter package with Mac software....?  I could be wrong.

15 hours ago, gsRt5 said:

Im new to all of this. Just ordered a starter package off the page. 

Don't feel bad about being new. We all were at one point. The people on this forum are helpful and generally friendly. 

I am a mac user myself. I use a paid program to interface with my cutter called SignCut Pro. I design in Adobe Illustrator on my mac and transfer cut files over to an older windows laptop to cut. SignCut will run on either platform but I generally keep the cutter in another part of the room so the windows laptop is just convenient. I like to watch it give me the blue screen about every other time I start it up, it's therapeutic. <sarcasm>  My point is there are lots of ways to get the job done and many of them are borne from necessity or budgetary constraints. 

2 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Don't feel bad about being new. We all were at one point. The people on this forum are helpful and generally friendly. 

I am a mac user myself. I use a paid program to interface with my cutter called SignCut Pro. I design in Adobe Illustrator on my mac and transfer cut files over to an older windows laptop to cut. SignCut will run on either platform but I generally keep the cutter in another part of the room so the windows laptop is just convenient. I like to watch it give me the blue screen about every other time I start it up, it's therapeutic. <sarcasm>  My point is there are lots of ways to get the job done and many of them are borne from necessity or budgetary constraints. 

We we are generally friendly but some of us aren't mac friendly and the reason we have a diverse group to address different likes - Tried mac twice and just couldn't do it either time :/

• Haha 1