Scratchthejeepguy

My daughter wants a T shirt

I have an SC2 and have no HTV or heat press, but she wants me to make her a custom shirt.  I've never even seen HTV.  Can I get a small roll of vinyl and use an iron... successfully?  I've heard using an iron for t shirts is a pain in the ass.  Is it even worth trying?

give it a shot - hard part is estimating 305 degrees and 20 second dwell on each part of the HTV with an iron but have heard of people doing it - and it is for your daughter so it isn't like you are putting your name on it for a customer.  heck there is one group on facebook I am pretty sure there are people using a tea kettle or cookie sheet :O - - seriously though you don't have a lot to lose and I think usc has some Siser by the foot you could add to another order

• Like 2

The hobby/craft stores sell small pieces for the craft cutters.  They stock a lot of colors & textures.

Just make sure it is HTV and not sign vinyl!  The packaging looks very similar.

Sue2

• Like 3

USC does sell HTV by the foot. If you order other things throw some in. Siser says you can apply with an iron. I wouldn't expect it to last as well as if it was placed with a real press though. I would be skeptical of the off brands. Siser is my fav and stahls cad-cut my second. I do 98% with Siser.  Watch the installation temp because a lot of other brands go on at higher temps like 320 or even higher in some cases. 

You will be cutting on the adhesive side so remember to mirror your graphic. 

doh.gif

• Like 1

Been there...done that.....way too many times.

I get so involved with how it looks and fits that I completely forget to MIRROR the image.

:(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue2 said:

Been there...done that.....way too many times.

I get so involved with how it looks and fits that I completely forget to MIRROR the image.

:(

I think we all have - nobody is perfect

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

'Mirror' is HTV 101.

and most common error made on the test by everyone eventually

I started out doing or aiming to do sign work but have gravitated to 99% shirts and other forms of apparel. There is a lot stronger market IMO. Because I do SO many HTV projects I have trained myself to save my cut ready files already mirrored. On the rare occasion that I need to cut one of the designs out of sign vinyl it is immediately eye catching when it's backwards.  I have never accidentally cut sign vinyl mirrored but definitely have done it wrong the other direction before I changed my workflow. One particularly painful job I loaded up a roll of HTV and set it to cutting many copies of a shirt graphic and didn't remember that it needed mirrored and ran through about 6 yards of material. 

" I have trained myself to save my (HTV) cut ready files already mirrored "

Now, that's a piece of advice to remember!!!

I haven't made the mirror mistake yet but I have cut on the wrong side of the vinyl a few times. Took me a while to get use to cutting on the non glossy side.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

I haven't made the mirror mistake yet but I have cut on the wrong side of the vinyl a few times. Took me a while to get use to cutting on the non glossy side.

ohhh grasshopper trust me it WILL happen

• Haha 1

I did say yet.  Although I use VM for HTV cutting and Inkscape for my other cuts so I leave the mirror option in VM checked all the time. So if I keep my work process unchanged I should be able to avoid the mirror mistake. :)

• Haha 1

You can print a photo on the t-shirt with you two and give it as a gift. I think it would be great. You can find out what your daughter likes and print it on a t-shirt. There is an awesome service same day t-shirt printing in metro detroit where they can print full-color photorealistic artwork. You just have to call them with the artwork you have or any ideas of printing, choose size and quantity and that's it. Last week was my mom's birthday so I called them and choose Personalizable Designs for special occasions and choose to print our family photos on her t-shirt and she was so happy. She even cried with joy when she saw her t-shirt.