Maximus_day

Redsail RS1120C Help

Hi,

(Not sure if I’ve posted in the right place sorry!)

I have recently acquired a Redsail vinyl cutter and have been struggling with it for a few weeks.

i first started using it on my MacBook with easy cut studio and after a few teething problems it worked perfectly (with a keyspan adaptor), my girlfriend then unplugged the plotter from the MacBook to use it in another room. After this the plotter has never been the same and I am really struggling to get it working again. The cutter won’t work properly on the MacBook so I have now resorted to using it on my windows 10 laptop to with easy cut studio, the plotter recognises a cut action but instead of cutting the design it cuts lots of diagonal, horizontal and vertical lines.

i have tried the same cuts with the blade removed and it doesn’t fix the issue, I have attached images, sorry for the very long post tried to get as much info in as I can! 

Thanks!! 

Max

0DFFAF84-94AA-44E7-9EE8-11CF664EF204.jpeg

3CA126E5-0591-4264-A665-2143C2E25F2A.jpeg

6252B390-2E0C-4237-97D1-B7E0F80D4290.jpeg

3B513852-9244-4229-AEFC-AE1DD08B9684.jpeg

F3C95AE1-98A8-47C3-8A22-097EE7416E28.jpeg

51F9E598-9E3F-4DBF-8891-21EDAA9F546A.jpeg

From what I have read, that cutter is not Mac compatible. And Easy Cut studio is the same as Sure Cuts A Lot.  Very glitchy.  Put the cutter on windows and use Signblazer software.   Download here.   That cutter is a bottom of the barrel cutter. You might get it to work, but may have many problems.  Static, communication, memory. The cutter should also be grounded to the stand.  Best to use a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter with it,  Tripp-lite is the brand name that will work with a vinyl cutter. 

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/

Thank you for the very fast response! 

Okay thanks for letting me know! I have installed signblazer (the no nag screens version posted on a thread here) on my windows 10 laptop, grounded my cutter and it’s also connected via the Tripp lite keyspan. I am struggling to find the windows 10 driver though as the driver disc I got with it only goes up to windows 10...

so far when I send the job to the cutter via signblazer  the job processes in the program but the cutter does nothing. 

Could this be due to the driver? 

Thanks 

11 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

From what I have read, that cutter is not Mac compatible. And Easy Cut studio is the same as Sure Cuts A Lot.  Very glitchy.  Put the cutter on windows and use Signblazer software.   Download here.   That cutter is a bottom of the barrel cutter. You might get it to work, but may have many problems.  Static, communication, memory. The cutter should also be grounded to the stand.  Best to use a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter with it,  Tripp-lite is the brand name that will work with a vinyl cutter. 

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/

Thank you for the very fast response! 

Okay thanks for letting me know! I have installed signblazer (the no nag screens version posted on a thread here) on my windows 10 laptop, grounded my cutter and it’s also connected via the Tripp lite keyspan. I am struggling to find the windows 10 driver though as the driver disc I got with it only goes up to windows 10...

so far when I send the job to the cutter via signblazer  the job processes in the program but the cutter does nothing. 

Could this be due to the driver? 

Thanks (quoted you this time as wasn’t sure you’d get a notification or not!)

What happens when you don't use the Keyspan? (direct USB cable)

CDM (USB emulation) driver
http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Drivers/cdm20828_setup_windows.exe

1 hour ago, slice&dice said:

What happens when you don't use the Keyspan? (direct USB cable)

CDM (USB emulation) driver
http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Drivers/cdm20828_setup_windows.exe

Hello! Thanks for the reply :) 

The plotter doesn’t have a direct USB port as it is an older model, it only has a serial output, I connected the supplied serial to usb and signblazer still doesn’t respond.

when I type the link in my browser I get error 404? 

I also have a usb to serial FTDI adaptor that I have just tried and this won’t communicate either.

thanks 

Hi, I have some really bad news for you.

Disconnecting a Serial com cable while it is in use (active) is extremely likely to totally fry the serial com circuit board.

You should NEVER do that.

2 hours ago, Maximus_day said:

when I type the link in my browser I get error 404

thanks 

Don't type the file. Click on the link.   I am on Google,  when you click on the link I posted and open the folder. click the file and the file starts downloading right away in my lower left corner.   Turn off your antivirus. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Hi, I have some really bad news for you.

Disconnecting a Serial com cable while it is in use (active) is extremely likely to totally fry the serial com circuit board.

You should NEVER do that.

Oh! Okay :( Would it be best to just scrap the plotter and buy another then? If so do you have any recommendations either of you? Im in the uk.. thanks! 

3 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Don't type the file. Click on the link.   I am on Google,  when you click on the link I posted and open the folder. click the file and the file starts downloading right away in my lower left corner.   Turn off your antivirus. 

Hi, yes I have downloaded it and installed the drivers, it still doesn’t work so I’m assuming the serial com chip is fried as said above? Thanks 

1 minute ago, Maximus_day said:

Oh! Okay :( Would it be best to just scrap the plotter and buy another then? If so do you have any recommendations either of you? Im in the uk.. thanks! 

Hi, yes I have downloaded it and installed the drivers, it still doesn’t work so I’m assuming the serial com chip is fried as said above? Thanks 

you will put more into it than just buying a new one with warranty and most come with nre cutting software

How much is your budget?   You can get a Liyu/SC vinyl cutter over there. reasonable.   Your cutter is about the same style as the MH,  We tell buyers not to buy the MH, but to purchase higher.  Next level up here is the SC vinyl cutter.   You can buy in UK.   Best cutters are servo cutters.  This is still a stepper. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINYL-CUTTER-PLOTTER-GOOD-QUALITY-LIYU-SC631-SC1261-A-AM-OPTICAL-EYE/300840646205?hash=item460b7ff63d:m:mxd4U8xsCXJllEDcUhBu01g

46 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

you will put more into it than just buying a new one with warranty and most come with nre cutting software

yeah i was thinking the same sort of thing!

41 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

How much is your budget?   You can get a Liyu/SC vinyl cutter over there. reasonable.   Your cutter is about the same style as the MH,  We tell buyers not to buy the MH, but to purchase higher.  Next level up here is the SC vinyl cutter.   You can buy in UK.   Best cutters are servo cutters.  This is still a stepper. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINYL-CUTTER-PLOTTER-GOOD-QUALITY-LIYU-SC631-SC1261-A-AM-OPTICAL-EYE/300840646205?hash=item460b7ff63d:m:mxd4U8xsCXJllEDcUhBu01g

26 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

yes i have been looking at the liyu sc and its within my budget so im glad you guys recommended it, i have also been looking at the cameo 3 as its a little more compact and i cant see myself ever needing to cut bigger lettering as i mainly make stickers etc, what are your opinions? is the liyu still the better choice? thanks :) 

Get a 24" cutter.   Get the word out your making decals,  My niche' is large decals and that is where the money is.  Making little decals is more work and less money. Work smart.   I use a 30" cutter.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Get a 24" cutter.   Get the word out your making decals,  My niche' is large decals and that is where the money is.  Making little decals is more work and less money. Work smart.   I use a 30" cutter.  

okay thanks! what software do you recommend getting with the cutter package? or will it work out of the bag with signblazer?

If you read the ad, It comes with a 1 year license of Signcutpro.  But it should also work with Signblazer, which will not cost anything.  

49 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

If you read the ad, It comes with a 1 year license of Signcutpro.  But it should also work with Signblazer, which will not cost anything.  

okay thanks, when i clicked on it it then gave me a dropdown lost of program options! i will try signcutpro, thanks for all the help!

• Like 1