arty-rc

Friendly Reminder

All,

I just finished backing up my computers. When was the last time everyone else backed up their computer???

• Like 3

Yesterday.

I've got a laptop with a bad power plug connection and it tends to just randomly disconnect (battery is long dead).

So, backups onto USB thumbnail after every session.

I really need to get another computer.

32 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Yesterday.

I've got a laptop with a bad power plug connection and it tends to just randomly disconnect (battery is long dead).

So, backups onto USB thumbnail after every session.

I really need to get another computer.

try that with about 7 tb of data - no thumb drive here

2nd computer fully backed up and a NAS as a third back up location - 

7 TB?

I donna even have 1GB of files.

SBE files are mostly what I generate, and they're fairly tiny.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

7 TB?

I donna even have 1GB of files.

SBE files are mostly what I generate, and they're fairly tiny.

remember that I did printing for years and some of those files are huge and will admit that 3tb is personal stuff - 
vector files are really small by nature 

Thanks arty. I lost my HD last winter on my mac (after 8 years). Luckily I had most everything except a few invoices for a couple months on a back up drive but it motivated me to step up my game so I have a double external redundant set running now and did a single on my wifes mac too. Costco had 5TB drives for like $89 or something silly so I bought us each one and I already had a 1TB hooked up to mine. 

• Like 2

I am more protective of my personal photos from family and the trips - they are on about 4-5 different drives.  I tried to help a professional photographer friend a couple of times when she lots precious photos - so a bit paranoid as those memories would be a horrible loss to be  - especially as we get older and sometimes refer back even for reference to old photos.  it isn't just about the work info.

last year I documented a siding and window project that was to last 8 days and went 5 weeks - until I showed documentation that I was ready to do what I had to do - to get it done right.

This year I am currently documenting a kitchen project that was to go 4 month and is now over 7 months and again that documentation got things back on track.  I just document like we did at the prison in case we have to go to court - and has paid off.

Tip-o-the-week do not go to a big box store for windows, siding or kitchen :(

pictures at 5 months and now over 7 months we have 3 more days scheduled and if all goes well will be done.  things like the under counter lighting falling down literally 10 minutes after the electrician left we unfortunately all to common.  was 3 months with absolutely no kitchen

Rant over - but again protect your document :)

DSCN0038.JPG

DSCN0699.JPG

• Like 2

Everything I have is backed up in real time to multiple places using a program called All-sync.

I just added a 10TB external hard drive to the mix also.  

• Like 3

Instant backup saved to one drive and all files saved to server.  Nightly back ups of all my devices (including phones) to my Synology 12TB server.  Monthly backups of server to cold storage drives and stored in my in-laws safe.  Hard drives fail and I have had several completely fail for me.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 12:51 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

DSCN0699.JPG.e5eab9ecff2bf3226751194cf9a181c6.JPG

Nice Kitchen. How thick is the backsplash? Does the cat approve of all this?

After I work on a drawing for a couple of hours and save, I ask myself if I would like to do that again. This motivates me to backup right away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pawdell said:

Nice Kitchen. How thick is the backsplash? Does the cat approve of all this?

DSCN0699.JPG.e5eab9ecff2bf3226751194cf9a181c6.JPG

Backsplash s a little over 1” thick, same as the counter.   Cats liked it too well. And have had to undergo some behavior modification 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 12:51 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

I am more protective of my personal photos from family and the trips - they are on about 4-5 different drives.  I tried to help a professional photographer friend a couple of times when she lots precious photos - so a bit paranoid as those memories would be a horrible loss to be  - especially as we get older and sometimes refer back even for reference to old photos.  it isn't just about the work info.

last year I documented a siding and window project that was to last 8 days and went 5 weeks - until I showed documentation that I was ready to do what I had to do - to get it done right.

This year I am currently documenting a kitchen project that was to go 4 month and is now over 7 months and again that documentation got things back on track.  I just document like we did at the prison in case we have to go to court - and has paid off.

Tip-o-the-week do not go to a big box store for windows, siding or kitchen :(

pictures at 5 months and now over 7 months we have 3 more days scheduled and if all goes well will be done.  things like the under counter lighting falling down literally 10 minutes after the electrician left we unfortunately all to common.  was 3 months with absolutely no kitchen

Rant over - but again protect your document :)

DSCN0038.JPG

DSCN0699.JPG

That’s the reason you keep draws small and do progression draws it gives the Contractor incentive to progress with the project to keep the money flowing.

I never pulled off jobs and jump from job to job to get deposits to provide cash flow if the next person in line for the next job didn’t want to wait they could get someone else or wait and I never had a problem with people waiting on me to finish the prior job. But my contracting company never advertised 90 percent was referrals and repeat customers.

• Like 1