Tincup19

Titan 3 Cutting Issue

8 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Tincup didja get the cutter operating with SignBlazer?

nope, i'm thinking the titan3 cutter we have isn't very compatible with other programs. there aren't any drivers that i can find for it where it can be added as a printer which seems to be the hang up. 

It's not a printer.

It's a COM PORT device.

Start with that, and work from there.

well i'm only connecting it via USB so i would need to buy a serial adapter i believe to get it show up under the COM ports in device manager

No, the USB shows up as a Comm port. Nearly all cutters are actually serial devices and they just have a USB to serial convert chip built into them.

Right, go to you control panel and Device Manager, then expand out the Ports. You should see your cutter listed and it will tell you what comm port it is on. Once you get that info, you can pretty much use any program to cut with, you just have to tell it which comm port to look at.

1 minute ago, darcshadow said:

No, the USB shows up as a Comm port. Nearly all cutters are actually serial devices and they just have a USB to serial convert chip built into them.

Right, go to you control panel and Device Manager, then expand out the Ports. You should see your cutter listed and it will tell you what comm port it is on. Once you get that info, you can pretty much use any program to cut with, you just have to tell it which comm port to look at.

that was my impression too however when i have it plugged in it doesn't show up under the Ports in device manager

20 minutes ago, Tincup19 said:

well after all the screwing around i've done i figured out a way to cut directly from illustrator

Please share the details.

21 minutes ago, Tincup19 said:

well after all the screwing around i've done i figured out a way to cut directly from illustrator

I played with that with my titan2 when if first came out but was never totally happy with the results - not consistent.  hopefully things have gotten better

34 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Please share the details.

the com issue in the device manager that was confusing to me. so i went to the work station where the other titan3 is set up and working with vinylmaster cut. i went into that computer's device manager to see if anything was listed under the Ports and there wasn't even a Port section in there. I then went to devices and printers and saw something that said Saga Plotter Cutter but it was listed under "Unspecified Devices." 

This caught my eye because someone MZ Skeeter had mentioned earlier that the Titan3 is a rebrand from Saga. So then I googled Saga drivers and on their page there was a simple "Plug In for PC" that i downloaded and installed (.exe). Literally just went into illustrator and clicked File-Print and chose Cutter from the drop down menu when selecting the printer and it cut the design normally

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tincup19 said:

the com issue in the device manager that was confusing to me. so i went to the work station where the other titan3 is set up and working with vinylmaster cut. i went into that computer's device manager to see if anything was listed under the Ports and there wasn't even a Port section in there. I then went to devices and printers and saw something that said Saga Plotter Cutter but it was listed under "Unspecified Devices." 

This caught my eye because someone MZ Skeeter had mentioned earlier that the Titan3 is a rebrand from Saga. So then I googled Saga drivers and on their page there was a simple "Plug In for PC" that i downloaded and installed (.exe). Literally just went into illustrator and clicked File-Print and chose Cutter from the drop down menu when selecting the printer and it cut the design normally

the titans are the cheapest plotter that have real usb communication to the mainboard similar to the roland and graphtecs - the cheaper ones have an emulation chipset that changes the usb to talk to the mainboard as a serial connection.  was a big step up when they did that

Glad that our efforts paid off. Another happy camper.

Onwards to the next one....