Sign in to follow this  
Tom the Bomb

Remove drawing border .dxf

Hi, I'm brand new to the FC8600-60. I need to cut a pattern that I have as a .dxf. I am using the free Graphtec Studio software. 

When I created the .dxf it had a drawing border around it. Now I want to remove the drawing border and just send the cut job of the actual drawn geometry to the cutter. I tried using the eraser tool but that doesn't seem right.

1) Can you tell me how to delete the drawing border from the .dxf in the Graftech studio software? It seems like I am better to keep the .dxf format so maybe the answer is to go into Siemens NX (which I used to create the drawing) and figure out how to delete the drawing border in there. 

2) It seems like Graphtex studio preserves the vector information of the .dxf so I can be sure that there is no scaling going on (unless I purposefully change the scaling). Is that the case?

I don't run a Graphtec and so do not have that particular software however all vector programs are working on the same basic principals. Some go about getting things done a little differently so you methods to do what you describe may be different than I would go about them in Adobe Illustrator. I will try to help you anyhow.

1. You should be able to select the border with one of the selection options. It may need to be ungrouped or there may be a special selection option that does not elect everything else. Once you figure out how to select just the border then just delete it. If the total combined graphic is a compound path you may see weird things happen with the inside of letters that have a hole in them like a small e. If you take a look in wireframe mode you will be able to see if all the other lines are there still (this if you had something go wonky and letters are filled in) Whatever you see in wire frame is what the cutter sees. 

2. Most of us don't use dxf unless you do some other software that needs them like perhaps a plasma cutter. Even then I would suggest working in something more widely accepted like EPS or SVG. I have occasionally opened dxf files from clients and they tend to be messy IMO.  If you are worried about scale and the rulers on your program are not easily seen or used I sometimes just create a box in the dimension I want and build to that. For instance fonts tend to be varied in actual height so a 200 pt letter in one font is not the same in another. If I want a 2" letter max height I make a 2" box and use it as a scale to check what size to make my font when I first set it up or if I am resizing. 

Isn't Graphtec  Studio the same as Flexisign?

If it is there are a number of ways to remove a border.

If it's a border that  Graphtec Studio shows on the design space you can turn it off in Design Central.  Click the little fly out arrow as shown in the third photo and turn off the Show Border

If  the border is incorporated in the graphic you can select the whole graphic and click ungroup like in the second photo.  Then  click off of the graphic and click back on the border and hit the delete key.

The last way is to right click on the graphic, click select within and then chose the border and hit the delete key.  This is shown in the first photo.

I hope this helps.

Doug

Design Studio 03.jpg

Design Studio 02.jpg

Design Studio 01.jpg

I've been able to get the .dxf to open in Graphtec Studio without the drawing border from my CAD program. 

In the CAD software (Siemens NX) there was in option for layers to disable. By disabling layer 256 the drawing border was suppressed and then I was able to open the .dxf in the Graphtec Studio software.

22 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Graphtec Studio   and Graphtec Pro Studio (similar to Flexi)  are not the same. 

Okay,  knew one was.  Thanks for setting me straight.  Doug

15 hours ago, Tom the Bomb said:

I've been able to get the .dxf to open in Graphtec Studio without the drawing border from my CAD program. 

In the CAD software (Siemens NX) there was in option for layers to disable. By disabling layer 256 the drawing border was suppressed and then I was able to open the .dxf in the Graphtec Studio software.

Sounds like you figured it out however you STILL should be able to ungroup and select any object and delete at will. 

• Like 1