Wind Gatherer

Brand Of Parchment Paper Available In UK For Layering

I'm trying to find a suitable brand of parchment paper or perhaps waxed paper for vinyl layering?
In the UK the only vinyl sign forums are for professional sign makers, so I 'm not allowed to join and ask someone.
On Ebay a seller had available 0m Long Roll Baking Parchment Paper 450mm Wide.
I asked him, " Hi,
I'm after translucent parchment paper, is this translucent?
Thanks. "
Replied, " hi, it is more of a creamy colour, thanks "
I then asked, " I'm into vinyl sign making, if you look 1 minute and 10 seconds into this You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=27&v=O_s88KjwETQ
You will see how I want to use the parchment paper, it doesn't need to be transparent, more sort of translucent so I can see the vinyl that has been stuck onto the clear application sheet under it.
Would I be able to see the vinyl under your parchment paper?
Thanks. "
Seller replied, " hi, the paper we have would not be as translucent as what is in the clip, sorry, thanks "
Does anyone know of a suitable brand of parchment paper or perhaps wax paper, ideally 45cm wide available in the UK

have you looked in a grocery store? Not sure how big they sell, but I think here in the state the stuff I buy is 18" wide.

2 hours ago, darcshadow said:

have you looked in a grocery store? Not sure how big they sell, but I think here in the state the stuff I buy is 18" wide.

Googled the main supermarkets we have here. in UK. From what I can see they all carry greaseproof paper. except a supermarket called Waitrose.  
" essential Waitrose baking parchment, 10m x 375mm, This unbleached paper has been siliconised on both sides for easy release of your baked goods. It is ideal for fat free baking, removing the need to grease cake tins, baking sheets or baking parchment. As part of the essential Waitrose range the parchment offers quality as well as value and can be used in fridges, freezers, ovens and microwaves. " Cheap enough at £2.80 a roll.
Oh, just enlarged the photo of the roll, says on it, " Baking & greaseproof paper. " From what I understand, greaseproof paper and parchment are two different products and greaseproof wont do.
I'll contact anyway and ask if translucent and clarify if parchment or greaseproof. I'll also contact UK Ebay sellers and UK Amazon asking if their parchment paper is translucent.

3 minutes ago, Wind Gatherer said:

I Googled for UK, only 2/3 products came up  available ion Amazon  UK. Out of the 3 only one seems suitable size.  Bienfang 20 Yard by 18-Inch Wide Parchment 100 Roll

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bienfang-Yard-18-Inch-Wide-Parchment/dp/B001KZH1MY/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=tracing+parchment+paper&qid=1563307964&s=gateway&sr=8-10

Is this the right stuff?

Thanks.

That's what is says. 

I think you want the stuff that is suitable for cooking. The idea of the parchment is that it's a non stick surface. The cooking variety absolutely works. I actually started using it for a cover sheet with heat press work and then one day was trying a layered job and sort of as a fluke tried it out. I had accidentally not done the correct layout of the two layers and the backing on one was not going to work out on the other and I needed something to lay out there on the table when I layered it so the top layer that didn't stick to my table. One thing led to another and it became my go-to way to layer. It is NOT clear but you can see through it pretty good. Not being from the UK I no nothing about what is available to you at the stores there. I am surprised that they wouldn't have baking parchment paper though. Maybe find a bakery shop that makes cookies and see if they have a commercial supplier or would sell you a roll?

As mentioned in a different thread I also sometimes buy gerber 225 vinyl sold by a local supplier that has a clear carrier and that stuff IS totally clear and as long as you remember to keep the slick side up it works great. I had one job I actually wasted a piece of the 225 just so I could use the carrier to layer some other work. This was large format stuff that the parchment was not big enough for. 

• Like 1