Wind Gatherer

Any Tips On Applying Loaded Transfer Paper

After I used the cutter to do the word THE and applied transfer paper to it. When I removed the transfer paper with the vinyl   stuck on it.
I found it really hard to apply THE to foam board I'm using for a sign board, the vinyl is so sticky, if I position the transfer paper and a piece of vinyl touches the board, it immediatly sticks to it and no way am I able to lift the vinyl and reposition it.
There must be ways to avoid this happening?
Thanks.

It sounds like maybe a build technique issue. If you are trying to align the word in a certain spot are you using some sort of tape hinge? Some layered work needs to be tight registration with other parts and the parchment paper works really good for that but just as often it's simply alignment with a substrate and if you are new you might not realize that  most of us use some masking tape to get the design where we want it and hold it there. To be effective you will want straight edges or the hinge will go wonky. I usually trim my masked work with equal reveal on all sides to aid in keeping things straight on the install. I use a side hinge if possible and hinge it on the right side so I can flip it over and remove the carrier then handle the app tape with design with my left had while I squeegee my way across using my right hand (I am right handed). A top hinge or a bottom hinge is also functional and each of us develop our own methods that we like best. On really large graphics a center hinge is often used but takes practice and sometimes an extra set of hands. ALL of these require a little practice. 

• Like 2

Ok thanks people, the YouTube video was very enlightening.

I think it would be a good idea to get a large A1 size cutting mat I bought a small one a while ago, to mount scraps on. Looking on Amazon and Ebay UK I see there are several makes, various features, are any, better than the others? I don't want to go really expensive, just a reasonable price.
I used this search term  A1 vinyl cutter cutting mat
Ebay UK this one is double sided 390408293211
When I was looking at parchment paper I read somewhere, about brown coloured paper, might have been an Amazon reviewer.
I found this on Ebay UK 261794453113 seemed best value, am waiting for sellers reply confirming that it is translucent.
Cheers.

4 hours ago, Wind Gatherer said:

Ok thanks people, the YouTube video was very enlightening.

I think it would be a good idea to get a large A1 size cutting mat I bought a small one a while ago, to mount scraps on. Looking on Amazon and Ebay UK I see there are several makes, various features, are any, better than the others? I don't want to go really expensive, just a reasonable price.
I used this search term  A1 vinyl cutter cutting mat
Ebay UK this one is double sided 390408293211
When I was looking at parchment paper I read somewhere, about brown coloured paper, might have been an Amazon reviewer.
I found this on Ebay UK 261794453113 seemed best value, am waiting for sellers reply confirming that it is translucent.
Cheers.

I just buy parchment paper at the grocery store in the cooking isle like you would use to bake cookies. Cheap stuff works great. Another option I have started doing is when I happen to do a local project that needs 3M/Gerber vinyl I buy the 225 as opposed to 220 cast vinyl. It comes on a clear synthetic carrier and save the backing for use when stacking or need to align things. Not sure in your location what the options are. I save all the clear backing I get my hands on. It also does a fair job of making paint stencils if you use a cutting mat or a few layers of app tape will work as well to create a carrier so you can cut out the stencil pieces. 

In the UK we have greaseproof paper for baking. I Googled and found parchment paper and greaseproof have different properties. I'm cutting on a bit of plywood, a cutting mat would help the Exacto blades last.