Maybe I'm missing something, but when changing settings such as blade offset and overcut when using a 1st Gen SC cutter and SCAL 5 Pro, nothing happens?  I don't see any changes.

I'm having an issue where my corners are just slightly rounded, instead of square.  When changing the blade offset, nothing happens, same result, even after adjusting +/- 1.0mm.

I've tried to update the driver for the cutter, but it says it's up to date.  I have also tried to uninstall the device and reinstall.  Is this a communication issue or am I missing something in the settings of SCAL 5?

Thanks for any help :)

20190708_204045.jpg

20190708_204057.jpg

Explain how you set your blade depth first.  That has to be correct, before the rest will fall into place. Blade depth effects everything. 

8 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Explain how you set your blade depth first.  That has to be correct, before the rest will fall into place. Blade depth effects everything. 

Half a credit card.  I've even tried backing it off a quarter and half-turn to see if that makes a difference. 

And to note, my cutter speed is normally set to 300mm/s and pressure is 50g.  I tried going down to 100mm/s and 20g to see if that helps, but same result.

There is a  big problem.  That is about 10 times too much blade exposed.   This is the correct  way to set your blade depth. You only cut with the very tip of the blade.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

• Like 2

1/2 a credit card of blade exposed is about 10 times too much blade. I have been on this forum for 11 years. This info is posted hundreds of times on here. and is even a sticky post. We can only give you advise, it's up to you whether you want to follow that advice. The blade has to be set correctly first, before you can adjust the offset and overcut, at 1/2 credit card of blade exposed, the blade depth is not set correctly.  Good luck 

That is where you have to start,  Make sure you have not broken the blade tip off.  Make sure there are not pieces of vinyl in your blade holder. Light oil on the blade.   With the blade being that far out. you may have damaged your teflon cutting strip. check for scratches and gouges. 

What do the cuts look like using the test feature on your vinyl cutter? 

I've had this cutter for about 5 years now and know how to set it up properly, but something has changed and I no longer have full control of the settings.  Something else to note is I recently upgraded from SCAL 3 Pro to SCAL 5 Pro, so maybe the software is the issue?  Haven't cut much since upgrading, so I didn't notice the difference in cut quality.

Scalp software is not a fan favorite around here. It was made for a Cricut, not for professional cutting.   Try a trial of a different software and see if it makes a difference. 

If you been using that cutter with the blade depth at 1/2 credit card, then it was never set up correctly from the git go.   Sorry.   It is less blade, more force.

• Like 2

After doing some troubleshooting with USCutter and Craft Edge, the issue ended up being the SCAL 5 Pro software not communicating properly with the SC cutter, not the blade settings.

I've received a copy of VinylMaster and have no issues now.  I'm going to continue to work with Craft Edge to see if we can get the issue resolved for others having the same problem.

• Like 1

part of why we prefer vinylmaster - it was designed for decal making with sign/decal  plotters from the start

VinylMaster is a REAL "pro" application, even in the basic Cut version, but at the same time allows beginners/novices to jump right in and get going as soon as they unpack a new cutter from the box.

USCutter deserves accolades for making it their standard software.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, Celerity Photography said:

After doing some troubleshooting with USCutter and Craft Edge, the issue ended up being the SCAL 5 Pro software not communicating properly with the SC cutter, not the blade settings.

The blade settings might not have been the cause of this problem, but the half credit card is way too much exposed and getting the correct blade setting will make your cuts even better.

• Like 2

I wonder if the SCAL 5 is ignoring the fact that the cutter is one of the old 1st gen cutters and lumping them all together. Heck I don't know enough about drivers to know if they are even different. 

I agree with all the sentiments that Vinyl Master is a way better program. SCAL had hopeful props early on but just didn't seem to deliver on things, I tried out the beta version but gave up after too many issues. It evidently IS some sort of rocket science to get a cutting program that gets it right. Not everyone can pull it off.